• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best place to buy headliner.

djminkin

Here is what I know:

if you want the original BMW vinyl headliner (snake skin) buy from blunttetch or world upholstery  (more $$$), or gahh (even more $$$$). Blunttech sells OE stuff (very good $$) but may need re-stitching as the heat sealed loops may separate during installation (ask adawil2002/Andrew Wilson for details). BMW since may have corrected this issue, don't know. I bought one from Blunttech and stitched myself.An upholstery shop will do that for you for a little cash. World upholstery sells stitched versions using the original snake skin vinyl but you pay more. Gahh costs way too much $$$$ for my wallet. Ebay stuff is good but it is not made of the same material as the original BMW snake skin (won't match the sun-visors, if you are purist), unless you have the same material to cover the sun visors (extra $$$).   

The OEM material is hard to get (not available? will check and edit).  The last hoard I knew of was bought by the WerkShop a week before I called.  Fortunately, Veterans (the supplier to a couple of the guys Al mentioned) is making an exact reproduction.  It isn't ready yet, but will be in the next month or two.  I've got a pile on order.

Edited by AceAndrew
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I found 2 places to buy a new 2002 headliner. Schmeidmann is Genuine BMW, but goliners has some great recommendations on BMW FAQ. Also, I read that the goliner headliner has sewn seems for the headliner bows, but my original 45 year old headliner bow seems are heat sealed, which I assume the new Genuine BMW headliner has as well. 

Does anyone know which product is better or the difference between the two supplier's products? I was surprised to see that Genuine BMW is actually less expensive than the aftermarket brand.

1. goliners on ebay for $185, including shipping (https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-71-1972-72-1973-73-1974-74-1975-75-76-BMW-2002-SOLID-ROOF-WHITE-HEADLINER/164121790378?hash=item26366bc7aa:g:E40AAOSwH4hbHIpM)

2. Schmeidmann for $158, including shipping (https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/product/e157238-new?product=51-44-7-480-140)

Michael

303-521-6047

With the heat sealed seams, best practice is to have them sewn by an upholstery shop.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40