• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

knee trim options?

Geoff Raynak

I'm working thru a pick-list on the Verona car we picked up last month ...it is a 1600 ... 

... someone put knee trim on the car long ago... and during the repaint by the PO ... the holes were not patched ...

In the best world ... these holes would have been patched ... so it could look more 1600 like

but they were not ... and the pre-paint trim is not with the car ... 

SOOOOOO:
I'm up 'hole-creek' without trim ...

from the 'before' pictures ... the trim looks very thin ... and almost not visible on the atlantik blue

but now i'm going to need something on the Verona ... 

i don't necessarily need to have the black+chrome kneed-trim from later models ... especially since it seems to be NLA ...

in fact ... i'd rather have something similar to what is shown in the 'before'

So I'm seeking advice from the larger community ...

Anyone have an aftermarket source for thin / subtle knee trim that works on the 02?

thanks!

geoff

image.thumb.png.7aa1070bebbe32f13f7d5d5dba3b56c6.png

image.thumb.png.18327402f92fc9b3149cc1700d97f2fd.png

1970 1600-2 VERONA conversion at Moment Motors

Knee trim is not a function of model. It is a function of date. Beginning April 1971, with the introduction of the Modell 71, knee trim (among other “improvements”) appeared. From that time onward, 1600’s, 2002’s had knee trim.

Regards.,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks, Steve.

Dates versus models make sense ...

But since this car was 'born' on 02OCT1969 ... I'm going to have to guess that it did NOT come to Hoffman with knee trim.

In any case, I need to 'cover my holes' with something ... so I'm open to any reasonable suggestions on tasteful trim for this car

Thanks again!!!

Geoff

I have seen some after market knee trim sold at big box auto stores, it's self adhesive and looks OK, might even be wise enough to cover the holes for the fasteners. It can be cut to fit but any f you get closer than 10 feet it looks kinda red-neck.

Two options: 1) buy a full set from 2002ad.com for $450 which includes fasteners or
2) place a parts wanted ad on the forum under classifieds for a used set. I just sold a complete used set for $180 which included fasteners and
shipping, so I am out but someone else may have some lying around.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

So, Is the trim on the blue car a bmw "factory" install? 

Why do we need knee trim?  sometimes it looks good and sometimes it takes away from the lines of the car...I think it helps to make too many horizontal lines.  I am torn on whether to remove or keep the trim.   

I think you car looks so nice without the trim.

I know, I am no help.  I thought I would add a little chaos to the discussion.  ?

following are pictures of mine with and without the trim.  I am presently running without the trim and looking for rubber plugs for the holes.

Good luck.

IMG_0357.thumb.JPG.3308b8dea1cc190896bdea6f86f47992.JPG

IMG_2441nt.thumb.JPG.3132c5c2a6af995eabc28c36d47be117.JPG

Light is seriously underrated.

If it were my car I would find some plugs (like the ones used on the tail panel to plug the euro plate holes.) and paint them Verona.

I just don’t like knee trim on early cars.

Another idea, get some 3M stick on trim and color match it. Then it would be more like the atlantik car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

3 hours ago, Geoff Raynak said:

But since this car was 'born' on 02OCT1969 ... I'm going to have to guess that it did NOT come to Hoffman with knee trim.

Absolutely correct, Geoff!

Regards,

Steve

2 hours ago, BeMyWay said:

Why do we need knee trim?

Some of us who have lived both without knee trim — owning pre-April 1971 cars — and with knee trim — owning later cars — believe strongly that knee trim prevents many door nicks and dents. Sure, it’s not always at the perfect height, but cars without it are particularly vulnerable.

That said, my experience goes back to the days when these cars were (a.) daily driven, and (b.) regularly parked on streets and in public parking lots. Based on the number of ‘02’s without bumpers today — or with auxiliary lights in lieu of bumpers(!) — I have to assume that many ‘02’s are parked solely at car shows or in reserved spaces.

In 1974, I was looking forward to adding knee trim to my 1970, to “modernize” it and add some parking lot protection. But I totaled the car before I could put my plan into effect. I would not add knee trim today to a pre-April 1971 car, but parking lots would make me nervous!

Below, a page from a ca. 1972 U.S. dealer accessories brochure illustrating the knee trim kit: “an easy way to make your car look like the new models.”

Regards,

Steve

CAA286A6-C82E-4E2A-AE38-2CBE05FE517A.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

What about something like this. A homage to the original and most people will not even notice. Need to compare sizing but you get the idea. 

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/chromeblack-sandwich-trim-per-metre

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

So I recently decided to remove the knee trim from my 75 when I was repainting. Why? Cause I didn't like it. I felt the only proper way to do it was to weld the holes shut. I was worried about creating places for the car to rust in the future if I didn't weld it.  In theory, that was a great idea. In practice, those holes are much harder to seal than the belt trim holes because there is less structural metal there. (Easy to make things worse if you don't weld much). I got it done but my body shop wasn't to happy with the price they quoted me to weld the holes. 

I don't think I would do it again. I like it better but thats just me. I would pay the price for a new set or buy a used set if possible.

I have the set I took off the car. They are not to bad but not perfect either. Would need new clips. If anybody is interested I'll sell them for $150. PM me if you want and I'll send pictures. 

IMG_0340.jpg

Thanks everyone ...

Great advice from both pro-trim and con-trim camps

I love the description of 'chrome sandwich' for the self-adhesive strips

I may just live with holes for a bit (as long as they don't whistle as i drive!) ... since this non-trim look is my preference ... but understand the effort it takes to patch those holes correctly ... so the correction is not viable at this point

... maybe even take the low-risk option of 'chrome sandwich' ... and if it looks okay/tolerable ... then i'll upgrade to the legit trim.

thanks everyone!!

1 minute ago, BeMyWay said:

What wheels are those on your car?  Are they 14"?

honestly ... i have no idea what size the wheels are!

i have NOT seen the car in person myself ... it was shipped from CA to our shop in TX ... and I live OR

i can get the details next week ...

the sale was done here on the FAQ ... and Saul said "an upgraded braking system ( Wilwood calipers in front and large drums in rear)."

here is the sale thread:

it could be that he did the 13" wilwood upgrade and these are 14" rims ...

or he did the bigger 15" kit and these are 15" rims ...

but to be fair ... does it matter?  or are you just asking to know what they are?

and ....... ultimately ...... i will be going with the 15" corrados that are on our 'other' 1600 ... here:

Geoff,

"but to be fair ... does it matter?  or are you just asking to know what they are?"

I'm asking because they look similar to what I have on my car...MSW 14", that I removed off my 1982 320i.  

I'm always looking for period wheels.   

I like the 15" corrados.

Thanks.

Light is seriously underrated.