• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rotting frame rail... removable?

Mucci

I'm working on getting a '75 2002 back on the road. I noticed the frame rail that's visible in the drivers front wheel well has some rot under it. I then saw someone was selling frame members on craigslist. Are these frame rails removable? That would make welding in a support panel MUCH easier.

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

you can order replacements from BMW, they're not cheap. I currently have a bit of rot in my DS frame rail, likely from a leaky brake booster at some point in it's life. 

Mine, however isn't nearly as bad as yours, and can be patched with a small repair. Have you consulted a body shop? potentially they could cut out and re-weld in a large patch panel? 

I'm also no sheetmetal expert. Everything I know comes from watching Project Binky :)

No sheetmetal expert here. But remember that the frame rail is a pretty critical support piece. Probably have had the same issue, (brake fluid leak vs battery acid leak) that chewed away the frame rail. 

Ordered a replacement from Walloth and Nesch. Not cheap. Not cheap labor to replace. But once mine was out, it was scary on how paper thin it was. 

So yes it is removable, but it isn't easy or cheap. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

5 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

So yes it is removable with a drill, but it isn't easy or cheap. 

minor correction, above...

This is up in the 7-8 banana category, when you factor in all of the elements that go into it.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Mine is rotted in the same place, although not as far up, but also all the way under the floor pan.

My plan is to just replace the section aft of the subframe mount by drilling out the spot welds in the inner fender and cutting it out, then weld in a replacement section (I bought a used framerail already)

But I also have no engine, subframe, or floor pans in my car, so some of the pre-work is already done.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

Here are some prior discussions.  One replacement done by the amazing Paul W..

Edited by Vicleonardo1
  • Like 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

4 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

Here are some prior discussions.  One replacement done by the amazing Paul W..

Great references, thanks! Looks like this is pretty common. It looks like my car also suffered from some sort of failure resulting in brake fluid getting in there and stripping the paint. The pass. side looks great still. 

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green