• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Turbo wheels price

Recently found what appear to be a set of 4 original wheels for a Turbo. Almost every Turbo I see has Alpina wheels. I am hoping to purchase a Turbo and it seems doubtful it will come with the original wheels. I can't find any prices online that I can use as a reference. Don't know if they are worth $500 or 2k. Any help would be appreciated. 

2 hours ago, frached said:

Recently found what appear to be a set of 4 original wheels for a Turbo. Almost every Turbo I see has Alpina wheels. I am hoping to purchase a Turbo and it seems doubtful it will come with the original wheels. I can't find any prices online that I can use as a reference. Don't know if they are worth $500 or 2k. Any help would be appreciated. 

are they steel or alloy and what dimentions are they

On 5/7/2018 at 11:33 PM, frached said:

1.  Steel

If they are the original standard 5 1/2” x 13” styled steel rims, the only way you will know they are genuine turbo rims, and not e21 rims, will be the manufacturing dates, i.e., before approximately April 1975, when the Euro-spec version of the e21 was introduced.

2.  Aluminum Alloy

If they are the original factory-option 6” x 13” alloy rims, a set of four restorable rims for $1,200 or less would be a bargain. Please let me know if you’re going to pass! But beware, the same style of alloy was also made in a 5 1/2” width (optional on early Euro-spec e21 cars) and a 5” width (optional on all square taillight cars). All of these versions are fully detailed in our wheels database: Mahle and FPS made the rims.

Below is a true “turbo alloy”, part number 36111112514. This example was manufactured by Mahle, and its 29th week of 1976 manufacturing date (“29” over “76”) reveals that it was clearly a replacement rim, produced a year after turbo production ceased.

Regards,

Steve

22E6917F-6103-4A59-A266-541E6C704F51.jpeg

511BF309-2711-4B67-8ABC-58EDB48289B7.jpeg

CD2797BD-4844-4CF9-B0E8-32636C4CFD71.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

ok, found out the wheels are 5.5x13 steel turbo wheels with an offset of 18. I believe they are stamped 74. I was told today that these are the standard wheels that came on the turbo and there was an optional 6 inch wide, which I think came as alloy. A majority of turbos I see have the Alpina wheels. I am guessing most people back in the 70s and 80s put on the Alpina wheels and got rid of the turbo wheels. 

10 hours ago, frached said:

ok, found out the wheels are 5.5x13 steel turbo wheels with an offset of 18. I believe they are stamped 74. I was told today that these are the standard wheels that came on the turbo and there was an optional 6 inch wide, which I think came as alloy. A majority of turbos I see have the Alpina wheels. I am guessing most people back in the 70s and 80s put on the Alpina wheels and got rid of the turbo wheels. 

Yes. The standard rim was styled steel and 5.5x13, ET18. With a date stamp of 1974, they’d have to be turbo rims: the e21 cars were not yet in production. The optional alloy was 6”.

Value of turbo steelies? Not a clue! Given that the e21 steelies, beginning in early 1975, were identical in size and offset, and are practically free for the taking, there is only a narrow market for, and narrow supply of, bona fide turbo steelies.

If you’re seeing lots of 15” Alpina and Alpina-style rims on turbos, I’d say many of them were installed within the last 20 years, not within the first 10 years of the turbos’ lives.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I wonder if it's just the camera and lighting.  I have never seen any original wheels that were not Anthracite centers.  maybe there was an option we don't know about.  

If you check the part number with BMW they also show that as a E21 wheel and don't make any mention of the 2 tone paint job.  I suspect these were purchased new (for $114 ea) and then painted.  Notice how they don't show a close picture of the date stamp on the front of the wheels.  These are no closer to a set of "original Turbo Wheels" than any other 5.5x13 ET18 steel wheels with a 2 tone paint job. 

Edited by Preyupy
  • Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

On 5/16/2018 at 4:42 PM, Preyupy said:

I wonder if it's just the camera and lighting.  I have never seen any original wheels that were not Anthracite centers.  maybe there was an option we don't know about.  

If you check the part number with BMW they also show that as a E21 wheel and don't make any mention of the 2 tone paint job.  I suspect these were purchased new (for $114 ea) and then painted.  Notice how they don't show a close picture of the date stamp on the front of the wheels.  These are no closer to a set of "original Turbo Wheels" than any other 5.5x13 ET18 steel wheels with a 2 tone paint job. 

+1

I, too, have never seen what I believed to be an original — not-repainted — set of steel turbo rims with black centers. They were dark gray, as Byron says. These look freshly painted to me. The orange peel texture says “rattle can” to me...

Again, the Euro-spec e21 arrived in April-ish 1975, so I’d guess that production of the 5.5 x 13, ET18, steel rims for the e21’s began shortly before car production commenced. But certainly if I saw a 1974 date stamp on a 5.5 x 13, ET18, rim, I would believe it was a bona fide turbo rim. I cannot see the date stamps on these rims. Good photos, however, of the unmarked back sides. Pity...?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Here is a cal pics of what I am looking at. Because of all the great help here, I figured out they are the 5.5 steelies. Turns out the Turbo I am looking at in Europe has the optional 6 inch wheels, which seem to be harder to find. By the way, I was told the production date on these 5.5s was 1974, however, I do not see that in the photos. Could they have stated building wheels way back in 74 for the e21?

s-l1600.jpg

Here are a few pictures of my OE wheels taken off the car in the 1980's, perhaps later. The paint appears translucent and nothing like yours, and the back of the rims are silver not black.

Shod with Michelin XWX VR rated tires.

ac 003 (Small).jpg

ac 004 (Small).jpg

ac 005 (Small).jpg

ac 006 (Small).jpg

ac 012 (Small).jpg

• Like 1

I’m reading the date stamp in frached’s photo (enlarged and rotated below) as “26” over “79”, which would translate to the 26th week of 1979. If my reading is correct, these are simply e21 rims, not factory turbo rims. If you can better decipher the bottom numbers, particularly the number following “7”, by all means do that. The second digit of the year is not absolutely clear but it certainly looks nothing like a “4”!

“Week-of-the-year” was a common alternative to “month-of-the-year” dating.

Lemmerz, Kronprinz, and Solrad produced ‘02 and e21 steel rims (on the ‘02, that includes both 4.5” and 5” rims). I’ve guessed, but have nothing to back up my guess, that none of these three German rim manufacturers could deliver sufficient quantities at the right times to match ‘02 production. Lemmerz, however, it also seems to me, produced well over 90% of the ‘02 rims, Kronprinz produced maybe 5%, and Solrad produced some small residual.  A.) I would be slightly surprised if BMW had to rely on more than one manufacturer to produce the rims (5.5”) for 1,672 turbos, and B.) I’ve only personally seen Lemmerz turbo steel rims, Lemmerz being the manufacturer of Einspritz’s May 1974 rim (“5” over “74”). Frached’s seller is offering Kronprinz rims. So...did Kronprinz or Solrad produce any turbo steel rims?  

(Am I both answering and undermining my own question by noting that the 6 x 13 factory option alloys — which had no intended application beyond the 1,672 factory turbos — were produced by both Mahle and F.P.S.?)

Regards,

Steve

1C3E8C09-5734-4140-A9DE-738F6BA4BDC5.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

On 5/20/2018 at 10:42 AM, frached said:

s-l1600.jpg

And this is a Solrad (“SRD”) rim, manufactured November 1979 (“11/79”).  Although this is also an e21 rim painted “turbo style” post-factory, the color here looks closer to the original Anthracite and Wheel Silver than the Spanish seller’s rims.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

• 8 months later...
On 5/20/2018 at 7:40 PM, Einspritz said:

Here are a few pictures of my OE wheels taken off the car in the 1980's, perhaps later. The paint appears translucent and nothing like yours, and the back of the rims are silver not black.

Shod with Michelin XWX VR rated tires.

ac 003 (Small).jpg

ac 004 (Small).jpg

ac 005 (Small).jpg

ac 006 (Small).jpg

ac 012 (Small).jpg

Hello Einspritz.

i am from Austria and i am looking for corrected dated 5.5 steel rims for my Turbo. 

Would you sell your onces?

If yes please send me an email.

Best regards 

Markus