• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headrests in early cars

Skicoach

Hi,

As my seats are being restored in a 1600GT with no headrests, I was thinking about installing those accessory rests that were used on 356's.  They can provide some restraint capability if a support bracket is welded onto the upper frame under the fabric.  Has anyone done this on one of their early cars and also, is there someone that has a pair they'd sell?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, one of our 1600GT owners can confirm (or refute) this, but I think the 1600GT front seats are slightly different from those used in the 1602/2002, although from the few interior pictures I've seen, they look like the non-reclining seats used in 1600s, with the cushion padding providing a somewhat deeper pocket.  

However, if in fact they're the same, you should be able to take the seat backs from an early US '02 late '68 on) that are already equipped with headrests, and either swap the upholstery material  or have those seat backs and headrests reupholstered to match.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 4 years later...

Good day.  

Trying to confirm if I need the 3 piece or 5 piece headrest vinyl for my 1970 2002.  I believe it is the three piece with the waffle/embossing in the middle but have been searching and searching the site but cannot seem to locate the answer.  Here are some photos of the supposedly original seats out of the car.....

I went to BaT to look at 1970 2002's and also looked on here for the three piece headrests and found a few examples of what I think are the correct ones (the marine blue headrest photos).  Can anyone clear this up for me so I can put in my order to GAHH today - thank you!

IMG_4769.jpg

IMG_4768.jpg

IMG_4767.jpg

IMG_4766.jpg

IMG_4765.jpg

IMG_5078.jpg

IMG_5077.jpg

IMG_5075.jpg

3 hours ago, HBChris said:

Three piece is correct, the five piece has the pointed ears on the later cars.

+1

The changeover was in late January 1973, at least for U.S. cars. The “eared” headrests also had 12 mm. supports. The earlier, “tubular” headrests, like yours, had 10 mm. supports.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)