• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 BMW 2002 Ti Alpina

tisalover

Peter- thanks for the kind words.  Car has some minor changes from last year so I must update the old project blog.  I will be at Vintage and PVGP/Ofest.   The tii gets to have fun this year.  I may just drive the 69 to Pittsburgh.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Wow, hey Inca Orange-I have never seen that model of Alpina wheels before. Can you tell us what size and offset those are ? It is hard to tell from the pictures. They look wider then the 70s SCCA wheel/rubber I've seen. What car /race class did they come on originally?

The 13 "   panasport and BBS wheels on the car are only 8 inches wide.

:rolleyes:Sincerely, Peter

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

Joel,

Buddy your fingerprints are all over this car. After your beginning A vintage BMW Motor sports page here on the FAQ several years agoI became increasingly interested in this car. Your enthusiasm and celebration of the pig cheek era encouraged this project more than you realize. I thought about pig cheek flair retrofitting,  however, these things start to get expensive and I plan on racing this car and as such it may be smashed. If I liked the shade of blue better I would've left it alone and celebrated its patina completely. I don't want the car to be too nice because then smashing it would be even more upsetting. 

Maybe we can get someone with greater technical skill to make your early motorsports BMW pages here on the FAQ a permanent fixture.

As for the seat I try not to think about what the Internet and world economy have done to old sports car parts. I bought a pair of 1967 Porsche 911 Recaro sports seats once for $500. I drove around in my daily driver 1972 Porsche 911 T with those seats all through grad school, with snow tires on in the winter. I foolishly sold the seats for $1000 and put in cool old recaro clubman sports seats with even greater support. If I wanted to buy those factory 911 1967 Sport seats now they would cost more then the  purchase price of the Porsche, $3500, and BMW TISA, $1200 combined. This saddens me as I prefer to see vintage seats out being driven, with happy buttocks resting in them as someone slides around corners. This race car could've been parted it out for its factory close ratio five-speed gearbox, rare Close ratio steering box, and fully built motor, BBS and panasport wheels etc.. Let's not dwell on value but rather  the zen driving experience associated with the original "Ultimate driving machine".

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

7 minutes ago, tisalover said:

If I wanted to buy those factory 911 1967 Sport seats now they would cost more then the  purchase price of the Porsche, $3500, and BMW TISA, $1200 combined. This saddens me as I prefer to see vintage seats out being driven, with happy buttocks resting in them as someone slides around corners. This race car could've been parted it out for its factory close ratio five-speed gearbox, rare Close ratio steering box, and fully built motor, BBS and panasport wheels etc.. Let's not dwell on value but rather  the zen driving experience associated with the original "Ultimate driving machine".

+1

Quite a bit more actually (if you were to buy these perfect '67 sport seats from Porsport)......wait for it....$13,500.

67 911 sport seats.JPG

Period Porsche stuff is insane....and those are probably better than when Recaro sent them out.  The sport seat out of Peter's car is probably pretty valuable, I almost pulled the trigger on one out of Germany, it was expensive, at the end of the day I couldn't rationalize it (was going to be my passenger seat).

Back on point, I think its great that you are going to take the car out and use it.  I wrestle myself with the 'smashed' thing as I get closer to completing my project.  Really its a dilemma.  Its one thing having a garage queen street car that gets used infrequently its a whole 'nuther' thing having a race car garage queen that can't be driven on the street and then not running it.  Kind of worthless really.  The nice thing about this car is that with the SOHC motor you can fix it.  You can get parts for it so it isn't the end of the world if something lets go...no question it will still cost some $$$ but doesn't present the same kind of problems that I would face if my car were smashed or the engine let go.  FWIW, according to my engine builder, 3 race week ends before the engine has to come out and be "freshened up" which at the minimum is fresh bearings on the bottom end...or more.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures with the car.  I like it.