• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve cover gasket.

reyes02

50 minutes ago, Healey3000 said:

Naked nuts, now that's a visual :-)

I had to put the correct, thick BMW wave washers under my nuts (another visual) as the gasket didn't get quite snugged up otherwise.

Yes. That will happen.

It's also been conjectured that modern gaskets are a tad thinner, exacerbating that issue.

Ok, maybe it;s me who conjectured that.

:P

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

12 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Yes. That will happen.

It's also been conjectured that modern gaskets are a tad thinner, exacerbating that issue.

Ok, maybe it;s me who conjectured that.

:P

So it's a girth issue and not a nut issue?

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I think all of your issues will add up to allow fluids to issue forth...

Yes, you need a washer under the nut.  No, it doesn't help sealing so much as protect the valve cover.

The cover itself should seal the stud...  unless the cover's warped, and it can be.

I find most engines like a little RTV over that seam.  When the head's cut, it's not

unusual for the cover to get cut a little less or a little more than the head.

Also, the head's torqued to 60 ft/lbs, whereas that cover might be lucky to get

to 15 before the bolts strip.  So the gasket squeezes less.

Don't RTV the valve cover.  I found a parts motor that way once.  It was a mess AND leaked.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

in the V8 hotrod world there's a company that makes some incredibly lovely, extra thick rubber or silicone (for material compression/sealing) steel reinforced valve cover gaskets.

The sets I've seen are red, and are maybe 4-5mm thick. They not only look killer, but seem incredibly functional in sealing/compression/reuse. 

I'd be curious who makes them, I'd love a similar part for our cars given the regular disassembly for valve adjustments/general poking/prodding. 

Edited by 2002Scoob

If you use acorn nuts, make sure the studs are recessed enough that the nuts don't bottom out, otherwise you'll never get a good seal, regardless of gasket. Oh, the Victor Reinz gaskets have a neat silicone bead that helps them seal.

Bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3