• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuse box color coded cardboard

Driv3r

AFAIK the only difference on 72-72 roundies between the wiring on the carbureted and injected cars are the additions of those electrical bits that are unique to the tii:  fuel pump and the thermo time switch circuit.  Per the factory manual, both tie into fuse 11.  On squarelight tii's, it's fuse 12.  

Thus I'm pretty sure the fuse boxes themselves for carbureted cars and tii's are identical, with only the addition of those wires to a single fuse.  Same with automatics, which have a few extra electrical bits not found on the stick shift cars.  

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 hours ago, Driv3r said:

Don't think they're the same but you can compare with the photo I posted.

Yeah they are exactly the same. Can you post your new versions, I photo copied mine so I could laminate it but a new one with good color would be great.

Yeah, I was looking in my engine bay a few years ago  when I was tearing things down and noticed something odd out of the corner of my eye. I got a glimpse of something in the hole where the big bundle from the fuse box bottom comes out. Got a flashlight and to my horror it was dog food! 

I had put an extra bag of food in my garage and ran over to it and nothing looked wrong till I picked it up and there was a hole in the back side. Those little mice bastards had collected some nuggets and were storing it in that hole. I cleaned it up, got rid of the dogfood bag and hope to hell it was just the food they were munching and not my wires.

And one more obvious question.. what are the color sections for on this card? Were they used by the assembly people to correctly install the wires ?

Randy

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

Colors should (perfectly as I recall) match the wire colors.

I've found that critters (for whatever reason) never actually chew 2002 wiring. I'm inclined to believe this is just an urban myth, as I have some experience with perfect mouse condo cars. 

tii motor.JPG

tii barn.JPG

IMG_6266.JPG

IMG_6346.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

On the other note, I followed the ancient Mayan method of cleaning the fuse terminal by using vinegar, salt, baking soda, lion's tooth, blood of ox and vulture's tongue as described in DIY articles but the copper turned black. Must've been the blood of ox or maybe I'm not evil enough! [emoji1]

Will try my own way of using ultrasonic cleaner.

8959ac5f77366c4318ed09397a1ceb68.jpg

40 minutes ago, Driv3r said:

using ultrasonic cleaner.

Definitely the way to get oil and grime off of small parts.  It won't remove the corrosion on the copper however.  But, as all GI's know, Brasso will!  It works even better on the end of a brass wire brush attached to a Dremel.  I even use this with the box still on the vehicle to clean up the connections.  After wiping off the Brasso with a little water, I usually spray on a cleaning coat of DeOxit and then DeOxit Shield to keep it pretty.  Because pretty copper is happy copper.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Definitely the way to get oil and grime off of small parts.  It won't remove the corrosion on the copper however.  But, as all GI's know, Brasso will!  It works even better on the end of a brass wire brush attached to a Dremel.  I even use this with the box still on the vehicle to clean up the connections.  After wiping off the Brasso with a little water, I usually spray on a cleaning coat of DeOxit and then DeOxit Shield to keep it pretty.  Because pretty copper is happy copper.

Yes I use Autosol to polish copper & brass parts, remember the brass heater valve I polished? It almost became invisible! [emoji1] Although I used a bench mounted buffer/polisher.

6c694a6881655a728fe5afb699dc4f76.jpeg&key=a69283fc0fee3007412154ec66d071ae14bae6fcce1a5bc33e8832f1a43e5182

• Like 1

10 hours ago, solo 2 said:

Yeah they are exactly the same. Can you post your new versions, I photo copied mine so I could laminate it but a new one with good color would be great.

Not sure, according to ETK this is how they're sold:

5a5b12804eb0e_Wiringchange.thumb.jpg.7b8e191cd47692f4ba87bcf0e29b9753.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Driv3r said:

Not sure, according to ETK this is how they're sold:

5a5b12804eb0e_Wiringchange.thumb.jpg.7b8e191cd47692f4ba87bcf0e29b9753.jpg

All I know is mine is the same as yours and the pic on the left. I had a hell of a time trying to find a wiring diagram that matched my car until Hal posted one. According to the serial number it is a 1972 USA spec build, sold as a 73 in Vancouver, Canada.

• Like 1

All I know is mine is the same as yours and the pic on the left. I had a hell of a time trying to find a wiring diagram that matched my car until Hal posted one. According to the serial number it is a 1972 USA spec build, sold as a 73 in Vancouver, Canada.

Yes same here, my tii is March 73 but also has the diagram as described for 08/73 to 76 on etk. Those Germans, we could never guess them. [emoji1]