• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 Wiring Diagram help

CHIZUCK33

So hello everybody I'm new. My name is Chuck I'll be honest I'm a VW guy have had 9 in my 28ish years of driving but I purchased a 74 2002 the other day so here I am. It's going to be project for sure not running and brakes and power booster disassembled but looks to be all there. Someone at some point changed the key ignition switch out so when turned on I get lights but then when turned to start nothing I went into the engine bay and got the starter to turn over with a jumper so I have a wire problem I have to run down. I found a wiring diagram on here for 73 and up but I can not read it and when I try to enlarge it it's even worse. So looking for some one who maybe has drawn their own or has one to share that can be read. Looking for battery to key to starter or knows the wire colors anything helps. Thanks I'm sure I'll be back asking more question and I will try to find the answers first thanks.

Of course there's a neutral safety switch, if auto.

And a seat belt interlock circuit.

And are you certain the trigger wire is attached to the starter? usually a spade terminal connection.

Welcome!

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

It's easy to follow/find the wire at ignition switch.  

I've always just used a testlight, should be simple fix.

And welcome !!  I'm a BMW guy who wound up with a tdi (for $ 500)

If you can work on my Beetle, you'll be great with BMW's.

Hardest car I've ever worked on, after finding motor, discovered it's in there sideways (in the front)

You have to remove the windshield wipers to replace the clutch !!

Nut (fka weevil)

My Claim To Fame - Worked On Harmon Fisher's Car !!! Yes the infamous 2002 F !!!

# 1 72 '02 Malaga, # 2 72 '02 Colorado, # 3 72 '02 Blue, # 4 72 '02 Malaga, # 5 72 tii, # 6 68 1602, # 17 68/76 '02 Custom Red, # 28 74 '02 Brown Metallic, 72 3.0 Csi, 73 3.0Csi, 80 735 Euro, 728 Parts Car

7 hours ago, CHIZUCK33 said:

the wire colors

BMW uses:

Red - Hot all the time direct from the battery unfused.  (Easy with this one, it can melt the insulation or blow the battery)

Red/Wht stripe - Hot all the time direct from the battery, fused.

Green - Switched and unfused (Used on critical stuff that you don't want to go down if a fuse blows.)

Green/Wht strip - Switched and fused.

Other services colors vary.

Brown - Earth or ground.

Caution: Someone in the past that was colorblind may have changed the colors!

• Like 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

7 hours ago, CHIZUCK33 said:

The trigger wire was on but comes of pretty easy

Sounds like you have the trigger on the wrong terminal....loose fit, no start.

The starter has TWO male spade terminals...one small and one large.

Make sure your trigger wire (Black/ White) from the #50 terminal on the starter switch  is connected to the larger spade terminal on the bottom of the starter.

The small top terminal is for the Black/Red wire that goes to the + terminal on the coil.  This wire gives +12 volts to the coil only when the starter is turning (max volts to the coil during cold starts).

When the engine is running, the coil gets approx. 10 volts through the clear/yellow .9 Ohm resistor wire from the #12 fuse block.

Hope this helps,

John

• Like 1