• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Running Rich

buckweber

Car is running rich and missing. Read about warm up valve on back of kugelfischer as possible cause. While car running I watched to see if piston pushed up after heating up. It had some gunk on top of the piston. Much to my surprise when I sprayed carburetor cleaner down by the warm up valve the rpm dropped. Repeated multiple time. Hit it with a long shot and it actually stalled the car. What would cause this behavior??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the middle of this right now myself...

There is a particular order to adjusting everything.  You have to do it in that order because each thing depends on the previous part being correct...

The information is out there in many places, and once you start to understand (after a while of banging your head) it gets much simpler.

But yes, the WUR can be the cause of much consternation.  Best is to take it off, take it apart, clean it, test it, adjust it, reinstall.  Or Jack at JFPro in CA can do it for you- and he has throttle linkages already made...  Servicing my WUR made all the difference in my car.  I'm now needing to pull my downpipe so I can weld in the AEM o2 sensor...

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

The WUR is an air intake for cold start conditions as well as the actuator of the kugel enrichment...so when you spray gunk down there you replace the air with gunk and that will drop the rpm...or stall it...is the WUR moving as it warms up??

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

The WUR is an air intake for cold start conditions as well as the actuator of the kugel enrichment...so when you spray gunk down there you replace the air with gunk and that will drop the rpm...or stall it...is the WUR moving as it warms up??

It does not appear to move. Not sure if it was up to temp when I stopped, Is there a hose or something between WUR and intake. I assume it is taking in air from atmosphere as it sucks in carburetor cleaner. Not much documentation on how it really works

If it was running well previously my immediate thought is that you are getting extra fuel into the intake.  When you spray gunk you're adding even more. 

I would do the following. 

1.  Get the engine warmed up.

2.  Inspect the tophat adjuster on the WUR.  It should be clear of the stop just below it.

3.  Clamp the hose to the cold start injector.  This will insure that no extra fuel is being supplied into the throttle body.  If the engine changes speed you'll know that you're cold start injector or electrical supply to the injector is at fault.

If either of these observations and tests don't help you may have to follow the FI injection manual and do a complete physical on the system to determine the health of your  MFI.

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

34 minutes ago, buckweber said:

It does not appear to move. Not sure if it was up to temp when I stopped, Is there a hose or something between WUR and intake. I assume it is taking in air from atmosphere as it sucks in carburetor cleaner. Not much documentation on how it really works

Here's a lot of what you need to know

http://www.2002tii.org/pump/pump_guide_v1.pdf

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

What's the history of the issue? What plugs are in it? Have you ensured the cold start valve is not under pressure and leaking?

How is the ignition system?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Sounds to my unknowledgeable mind like the PO has hashed the car about and 'tuned' your rich condition in to probably overcome a vacuum leak. When you spray the carb cleaner this then makes it 'too rich' hence the stumble. 

To complex a system for home brew remedies. Sounds like you need to give it some love and take it back as stock as possible. 

Edited by Simeon

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/