• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to order mechanical fuel pump?

kbanjo

Found a pool of gas under the hood - looks like a leaky fuel pump. 

Is this the right replacement?

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pn.aspx?sku=10122804-13311265192&vehicle=1976 BMW 2002 E10&brand=Pierburg&utm_source=google&utm_medium=nonpaid&utm_campaign=froogleSKU_BMW&gclid=CjwKCAiA9f7QBRBpEiwApLGUio0swhaQ787hItr-lbAo_aMq3qKJ3r-NTfdMRR6oM-PgF30OOOH0RRoCev0QAvD_BwE

Is there a reason to get something different? I'd like to keep it simple. 

Looks like the right one.  Before you replace it though, see if you can gently tighten the screws up around the middle of the pump and, just for good measure, also tighten up the nuts that secure it to the head.  The screws on mine back out after time and I usually have to give them up to a 1/4 turn.

But, in the end, if you want to replace it, that one should work.

Edit:  Once lesson I learned about a year ago is to put a little oil on the inside of the pump and work it as best you can.  I had replaced one and it bound up on me and stopped working.  I put a few drops of oil on the rod, worked it in as best I could and it's been solid ever since. 

Edited by mmichalik

My "fun" cars so far:                                                                                                                                                                                                            My restoration website:

1976 BMW 2002a                                                                                                                                                                                                           http://www.2002and914.com

1975 Porsche 914

that does not look like the right one to me.

that is the stubby style, that presses down on the coolant line.

contact Blunttech and tell them you want the long neck style.

+1 for tightening the screws on the top.

I had the stubby pump installed for a while and it started to leak.

tightening the screws fixed the leak.

installing a taller pump fixed the fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank everyone. I tightened the screws down, and the fuel leak seems to have stopped. I'm still needing to pump the gas upwards of 25-30 times to start it though. Do you guys think that's indicative of a bad fuel pump, or should I try taking the carb apart / clean it? What would your order of operations be for diagnosing this? 

Recent work (last 6 months): fuel hoses, fuel filter, new cap/rotor, new carb filter

Sign of fuel pump failing. I had the same issue but intermittent. Then one day in front of the diner it completely quit. I put on a electric fuel pump and three years later it still working. I know the electric pump may quit any moment because of build quality these days and so I have kept a few new spare ones in the trunk.

Walloth and Nesch has fuel pumps ON SALE: 

For years up to 08/73 Fuel pump rod was 108mm. 

For years after 08/73 the fuel pump rod is 88mm in length. 

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/fuel-pump-1600-2-1602-and-1802-up-to-08-73-old-version-13-24-06.html

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/fuel-pump-1502-1602-1802-2002-from-08-73-up-only-with-pump-rod-88-mm-length-13-24-06.html

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

+1 on Blunt as a source. I ordered a replacement from one of the usual places and was sent the short neck one that they all seem to carry. I sent it back and Blunt had the correct longer neck pump for my 75 .. at least he had stock earlier this year. Worth a call.

Randy 

Also, the holes in the pump body require these plastic bushings to be inserted and then the bolts into the head. Not sure replacement pumps come with those, so pay attention when you pull off your old one. Keep the old ones if in good nick, otherwise I think they can be ordered from Maximillian or elsewhere. Without these bushes I think the pump can not align properly and a whole other world of hurt awaits you.

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com