• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q/R steering box

solo 2

I acquired an NOS QR box a few years back for my '73 tii M2 2.5L, immaculate and still in the candy wrapper packaging. I traded a very well-done Alpina A4 replica multi-butterfly TB system straight across for it with a dear friend and we were both happy. He actually had two of the NOS QR boxes, God knows how or why.

From my before/after impressions using the car purely for back road banshee driving, the QR box is night and day relative to the standard unit and for me the value is there...it is pure magic, particularly in how easy it is to make mid-corner and corner exit adjustments on the gas when things get squirrelly. I absolutely adore it!

Parking and low speed turns into the gas station require no-fun grunting and wrenching, particularly with a Momo Competition wheel...but I'll take the trade off any day.

COOP

IMG_4400.PNG

• Like 1

I had a "moment" a few months back where I thought about converting my Alpina race car back from rack&pinion to a QR box (it was just a moment though) and got a quote from Cahsel for one from his website.  The red box is the one pictured on his site, that is what I thought I was going to see as the item for sale.....the green bomb apparently is the one that is actual one he has....or at least was going to sell to me.  Aside from determining it was a bad idea to switch back to a box, and that it was 3000 EUR (just about $3,600 without VAT and shipping....)...and then I was going to have to restore it.....naaaa.  nope.  nada.

Looks like it got painted with house paint.....

I had one in one of my cars and loved it.  My point here I guess is that if you can find one that isn't junk its going to be expensive (and maybe, it might be junk and still be expensive???)

A238_T303_hell.jpg

T303 A238 IMG_4855.JPG

T303 A238 IMG_4856.JPG

T303 A238 IMG_4857.JPG

On 9/15/2017 at 1:13 AM, COOP said:

I acquired an NOS QR box a few years back for my '73 tii M2 2.5L, immaculate and still in the candy wrapper packaging. I traded a very well-done Alpina A4 replica multi-butterfly TB system straight across for it with a dear friend and we were both happy. He actually had two of the NOS QR boxes, God knows how or why.

From my before/after impressions using the car purely for back road banshee driving, the QR box is night and day relative to the standard unit and for me the value is there...it is pure magic, particularly in how easy it is to make mid-corner and corner exit adjustments on the gas when things get squirrelly. I absolutely adore it!

Parking and low speed turns into the gas station require no-fun grunting and wrenching, particularly with a Momo Competition wheel...but I'll take the trade off any day.

COOP

IMG_4400.PNG

Well, Mr. 2.5L,

If you didn't stuff so much power into that poor little thing, you wouldn't be needing one of those fancy QR boxes, would ya?  Take my bone stock '76, for instance, it gets squirrelly at much lower speeds -- safer speeds I might add -- and I can just wait for the car to grind to a halt in the gravel berm, or someone's front yard -- no QR box needed here!  ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Haha 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 4 weeks later...

For that kind of money I would expect some shots of the state of the worm and some video of any play in the centre position. I could not take the risk that I was buying a dog and therefore probably wouldn't buy it unless I could examine it myself. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

• 4 weeks later...

I hope this is not off topic. I have loosy goosy steering box ( 1974- 2002) . All new steering links. Best I can tell the only play left is in the box. If I tighten it up, it's ok until you turn the wheel and it tightens up too much. If there is another post I can be directed to I'd appreciate it. Sorry to barge in. :mellow: