• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield replace

AmazonGreen

Crack in windshield growing after rock hit going to Mid America. Blunt has OE in stock. Can anyone do install, or is it tricky?

Thanks.

Original owner:

74 2002A Production 4-74

Upgrades: '75 mirrors, 320 driving lights, Weber, fatter tires, sound system.

Sold: 92 325i sedan 5 spd Production 8-91

Upgrades: Wheels, Borla, Bilsteins, sound system

Bought: 2012 Cayman

Any good glass shop can replace the windshield.  But keep in mind if you bring the shop a new windshield, they won't take responsibility if they break it while installing.  Thus...if you have comprehensive insurance, you may have a non-deductible on glass; it's worth checking.  If that's the case, the glass shop will take care of ordering as well as installing the glass and will be responsible if they break it.  

Also if your windshield gasket is original or even more than a few years old, they're probably gonna want to replace it too.  Make sure they use a BMW gasket, not aftermarket (URO).  The URO gaskets just don't seem to fit correctly, especially at the upper corners, and folks who've tried them have reported leaks as well as a poor fit.  Some years ago a local glass shop broke two windshields and tried three different aftermarket gaskets before they finally listened to me and bought a factory gasket.  It went in with no problems at all.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Its super old school easy. That said, most window techs are millennial's, so perhaps they haven't seen this style gasket. If the brightwork is stiff/old/discolored it will get ruined coming out. May as well do the gasket if its at all dodgy. We used to do these with soapy water and a section of clothes line back in the day. 

I've had great service and glass from local shops.  Remember that BMW has their windshields made in the same South African plants as Pilkington and the other guys. This is one time that I've not had issues with non-OEM products.  They are virtually identical.  One shop owner actually showed me a catalog from a supplier in SA that listed their client as BMW.  Half the price of OEM at least.  Only the logo is different.  My experience FWIW.

Use OEM gasket FOR SURE!

Last shop I used did the job in 10 minutes max with the lock strip already installed in the gasket.  It was fun to watch the skilled guys do their job.  And a little side to side tweaking with the suction handles.   Done!

73 Inka Tii #2762958

It's an old school install, ask the shop if they have anybody that knows how to install the windshield with a rope...there are less that do every day...

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…