• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Redline MTL - yellow bottle

Drained and filled the the transmission fluid of my newish 5 speed yesterday. Thought it would be good insurance since I don't know how long the the transmission had sat in the back of the shop before it found a new home in my car. The shop drained and filled the transmission as part of the work with Redline MTL but I wanted to refill it anyway after using the car for 500 miles or so.  The shop swears by Redline MTL fluid so I decided to refill with the same, I was quite surprised on how thin that oil really is, but I heard good things about it in our older transmissions. The stuff I bought comes in the yellow bottle and is fully synthetic. Transmission shifts smooth and is pretty quiet so I'm probably good to go, just taken aback on how watery that stuff is. I was able to get about 1.6L pumped in before it started to run out the fill hole.

Yes, the MTL is quite thin but it does shift like butter.  The only drawback with the MTL is if your transmission has the potential to leak it definitely will with MTL in it.  I don't think it causes transmissions to leak but I think MTL just leaks out easier. I run it in my 5 speed and ran it in my 4 speeds too and never had that problem but many people seem to.

74 Golf

Back when I had an e34 535i (M30, 5-speed), there were two types of gearboxes.  One type required MTL and the other ATF.  The bellhousing had a sticker that identified the type of oil. Do 2002 gearboxes have a similar split personality?

I used Redline D4ATF in mine and it worked very well, although the darned "death rattle" got a little louder.

It's GL-5 Hypoid for limited slip differentials, works fine.  I would Use GL-4 in a non-LSD.

Edited by HBChris

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix