• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it necessary to run the cooling system through a downdraft intake?

I’m considering switching from a sidedraft setup back to a 38/38 using a stock intake. Since I’ve already done the work to bypass the intake cooling, will I run into problems if I just throw the stock intake on there without going through the motions of reverting my cooling system? If so, why doesn’t a sidedraft require cooling?

Thanks for the insight!

-Ryan

In warmer clients not necessary. The coolant through the intake is there to heat the intake not to cool it. Heated intake helps the air fuel mixture in cold climates

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

18 minutes ago, Stevenc22 said:

In warmer clients not necessary

"and drier climates".  Humid climates are another story.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

i drove my 2002 all winter 2 winters ago with no chokes and no coolant running through the intake.  once its gets some temperature in it, it runs and idles fine.  coldest day i started it was 10 degrees F.  battery needed a jump but other than that it started up and held a idle after about 3 mins of hold constant rpm to get some temperature in it

I wonder if it also just helps emissions too, as in warming up the fuel/air mix for more complete combustion.

(...pitch it)

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

2 hours ago, KFunk said:

I wonder if it also just helps emissions too, as in warming up the fuel/air mix for more complete combustion.

(...pitch it)

Picture an old Indian (they say Native American nowadays) standing on the side of the road with a tear in his eye. 

chief.png

But what do I know

In warmer clients

Yeah, don't try to stick coolant hoses into your cooler clients...

Contrary to whatit might seem, it helps with fuel/air mixing. 

Without it, fuel condenses in the intake, and doesn't get burned.

I run it.  Even on track cars.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL