• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valuation assistance please.

Schnell02

Price: $1

Description:

***Edit:   Mods, if this post is better suited in a difference sub, please move, thank you!

Longtime lurker, appreciate all of the experience and knowledge the community has cultivated.

I'm interested in acquiring this vehicle but do not wish to overpay.  It is in a remote location, so I have been fortunate to find it.

The vin the seller provided is a true tii vin.

My issue is, with the "racecar" modifications and flared fender wheelwells, I'm not as confident what it's worth in this condition.

I don't know title status yet, odo has almost 100,000, to be assumed to be rolled once over.

It has concerning rust in rear quarters and the door panels, but I haven't been able to inspect the underside.

I have not yet been able to confirm if the engine VIN matches the chasis either.

I will confirm title status and vin match prior to purchase decision.

I'd like to either A.)  return the car to as close to original configuration as possible,   B.)  set it up as a retro racer but only keep it for street purposes.

So, assuming the title is clean, and the VINs match, what would be the ballpark market value?   I plan to make a decision by Friday.

I'm going to assume it potentially has a salvage title, which would be the one reason why someone might take a rare tii and transform it in this manner, but I may be wrong..

Thanks for any and all input, I really appreciate it.

FullSizeRender(1).jpg

FullSizeRender(2).jpg

FullSizeRender(3).jpg

FullSizeRender(6).jpg

FullSizeRender(7).jpg

FullSizeRender(8).jpg

FullSizeRender(9).jpg

FullSizeRender(10).jpg

FullSizeRender(11).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_8635.PNG

Edited by Schnell02

Cameron

That is a long road to get that car back to a stock configuration, flare removal, trim delete reversal, etc., so Street/Track option "B" might be a better bet.  If the rear quarter is that badly blown out, there may be some serious issues under the car.  Exceptionally nice 74 Tii's seem to trading in the mid to high 20's, but this is not that car.  In its current condition cosmetically (rust, paint and interior issues), and assuming mechanically sound, (running and driving with stock components), and a clear title, I would estimate the value at $6 to $8K.  Depending on the inspection, (more rust, mechanical issues, etc.) the value could drop to $4K or less.  With Tii specific parts going up in value, (brake booster, struts, rear sub-frame, fuel injection bits, etc.), even a rusty, non-running Tii has $2 - $3K of value as a parts car.

IMHO,

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

2 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

In its current condition cosmetically (rust, paint and interior issues), and assuming mechanically sound, (running and driving with stock components), and a clear title, I would estimate the value at $6 to $8K.  Depending on the inspection, (more rust, mechanical issues, etc.) the value could drop to $4K or less.  With Tii specific parts going up in value, (brake booster, struts, rear sub-frame, fuel injection bits, etc.), even a rusty, non-running Tii has $2 - $3K of value as a parts car.

IMHO,

Mark92131

Thank you for the reply.   I'm uneasy paying much over $2k without having seen it in person yet.  I would hope that the engine would atleast bring around $1,500, but I don't know.  The ceiling of these cars is quite high, which is encouraging, but to get it to value near $20k, I'd likely have that much into it...   And as you mentioned, it could have all number of issues underneath.

My last resort is a full part-out, and full restoration would be a long and expensive road, as you stated.  This is not my dream car, and the purchase is purely motivated by opportunity, something I may be able to sell and buy a roundie at a later date. 

It's a shame to see it in this condition, but it'd also be a shame to see it go to someone that won't have interest or ability in keeping it on the road.

Edited by Schnell02

Cameron

First thing I would check after the rust under the car is the transmission, doesn't look like a standard shift lever, maybe a 5 speed.  If you can buy it for between $2 - $3K, you really can't loose, parts will cover that purchase price.  If nothing else is wrong with it, you can get it very presentable for $15- $20K and still make some money on the back end for your Roundie.

Have fun,

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

On 6/5/2017 at 10:39 AM, Schnell02 said:
Price: $1
.....I'm interested in acquiring this vehicle but do not wish to overpay.  It is in a remote location, so I have been fortunate to find it.

Remote as in Idaho per the auction: http://hibid.com/lot/32001579/1974-bmw-2002/?q=bmw&ref=catalog is a long way from WV. 

You heart is in the right place but your motives (how much is it worth for resale in the end) are misaligned with this car. 

But what do I know

I am in the same boat as you, looking for a car far from where I live. I am curious as to how you are checking the VIN. I would like to do some research on the car I am looking at as well, but am not sure how to run the VIN. Any suggestions? I would also like to understand how I can check the numbers on the engine to see if it matches the VIN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, drinksomewhiskey said:

I am in the same boat as you, looking for a car far from where I live. I am curious as to how you are checking the VIN. I would like to do some research on the car I am looking at as well, but am not sure how to run the VIN. Any suggestions? I would also like to understand how I can check the numbers on the engine to see if it matches the VIN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These websites have been helpful:

Check the Vin here:     http://www.bmwclasicos.com/vin.php

Item #5 on this page will walk you through how to find engine VIN stamps:

http://classicregister.com/id-guides/how-identify-1971-1975-bmw-02-series-2002-tii-coupe

Cameron

2 hours ago, cibalibeb said:

Picked the car up on Friday from the auction, original paint color as confirmed from BMW is Granatrot metallic, VIN on the column matches the VIN plate under the hood and the VIN stamped into the fender. Engine block stamp doesn't appear to match the VIN and the odometer doesn't work

The auction didn't end until Saturday correct?  Last bid I saw was for $4,400, hopefully it didn't go much higher.  Congrats on the win.  I guess I will keep waiting.

Cameron

29 minutes ago, Schnell02 said:

The auction didn't end until Saturday correct?  Last bid I saw was for $4,400, hopefully it didn't go much higher.  Congrats on the win.  I guess I will keep waiting.

Your right, it ended Saturday I was talking and typing earlier when I wrote that!

I drove up to the auction Saturday morning, there wasn't any local interest in it, in fact most of the people laughed when they pulled it through like it was a joke. I picked it up for $4,600 after all the auction fee's it ended up right at $5k. It definitely has been neglected the last few years, but I'm pretty excited for the project. Current plan is to drive it through the summer and then strip it down to the shell this winter to get all the rust damage repaired and future rust prevented. The floorboard holes and the rear quarter panel seem to be the most rust damaged areas.

After getting the car home and cleaning it out I found a copy of a South Carolina title and bill of sale dated 2008' so it looks like that is when it moved over to Idaho.

IMG_8835.thumb.JPG.076ba784db4a2ecc298e4c590b21f6bd.JPGIMG_5275.thumb.JPG.41e0a45befec7be98c143338fc2f0a75.JPGIMG_5279.thumb.JPG.9384df174fc915a5267040d59ba7c628.JPG

Edited by cibalibeb