• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ordering Parts From BMW Classic Munich

Driv3r

2 hours ago, LarryE10E20 said:

At one point when I wanted to buy parts for my 2002 turbo, they required me to provide photos of the VIN numbers on the chassis, inner fender, door, and engine before they'd sell me anything. When I questioned this procedure, they explained that they were worried that people would "create" a turbo from an "ordinary" tii by buying and installing turbo-only parts. And since they never imported the turbo into the US in the day, my purchase request set off alarms. At least that's what they said...

Wait just a cotton-picking second.  You have a 2002 turbo?  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On 5/30/2017 at 8:12 PM, jgerock said:

Wait just a cotton-picking second.  You have a 2002 turbo?  

Well, I did at one time. VIN #4291240.  You never knew that?  You never saw it?

While it was very cool, the truth of the matter is that I liked the tii more.  The turbo always  seemed heavy and a bit ponderous to me. It was really powerful, but only if you kept the rpms above 4,500; if they drop, your boost is gone, gone, gone, and the turbo lag to build power back up was, well, 70's era turbo lag.  And running at those high rpms for prolonged periods does not help 40 year-old plastic, which got brittle and broke at the most inopportune times. So off it went.

It's still around. I sold it to Scott Hughes, who has brought it to the Vintage and other similar events.

Turbo at 3 Across America.jpg

Larry

'73 tii

'73 3.0 CS

'23 M2

It was really powerful, but only if you kept the rpms above 4,500;

...and yet, people still insist in swapping in M42's....

he derails.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Just to play devils advocate. The one great benefit of this policy, is that it has stopped you yanks from stripping the world bare of parts. For example, us europeons cant cant buy an E28 chrome rear bumper centre section, any more, for love nor money. Pulling my head in now!

02tii 2751928 (2582)

So John, what you're trying to say is that the problem the federales have caused BMW is a boon for the Europeans....Don't worry, the UK will put up some barries soon. I agree though for the time being, I have never used a vin and ordered parts from BMW Classic for years...We'll leave the complicated processes for North America. In Germany the date of first registration is usually a pretty good indicator for the build date, so 2/1971 is close enough...which is how the site in Germany is set up. I have to say though that they use a really crappy internet selling system which is often down and gets confused if you have more than one car and have to switch models to order parts. Then it gets confused and you start from scratch. Their shop is not worthy of being the ultimate driving machine's webshop.

Regards,

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight