• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock spring question

JohnP_02

These are my original springs, but I came up empty when trying to run the part numbers. I'd like to clean them up and repaint them, so my questions is which are the front and which are the rear, and were they originally black I guess, they have some other small spots of color - maybe just from the original fjord blue? 

F0067D32-E023-4B8C-B9AB-B0AC1A422819.thumb.jpg.efff77040c33c9e1a94349e7dd2ba2a1.jpg

IMG_2337.thumb.JPG.3878f8800e9689092819f2236fbfeaa5.JPG

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (owned 10 years)

A few steering wheels

The paint marks are simply how BMW marked different springs, per application and/or spring rate. Red striped springs are often an optional stiffer / shorter, or heavier duty spring, for instance. Someone here can chime in on which is front vs rear. I can't remember. One should be a tad shorter than the other. White and blue stripes like yours shown are a common combo. I'd preserve / re-create those paint marks, if you're going for concours original appearance. It's a nice touch. 

Part numbers on BMW parts are almost NEVER the actual part number of the item, but rather contract / catalog numbers used by their suppliers, etc. They're often infuriatingly close to real part numbers, but do not appear in factory parts literature. 

Hope this helps at least a little bit.

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Based on the information c.d. posted below, it looks like the blue and white striped springs are your fronts.

Do the rears have colors on them still?

c.d.iesel

• c.d.iesel
  • Solex
  • 12,172 posts

what I contributed many moons a go :

stock / oem 02 suspension coil spring colour codes and free length (not mounted length);

REAR SUSP SPRINGS

Green 776-803 lbs

White 750-776 lbs

Red 725-750 lbs

wire thickness 12.3mm (.049")free length unmounted 334.6 (13.17")

Heavy duty conversion ( for trailer towing )

grey/green 769-789 lbs

grey/white 730-769 lbs

grey/red 710-730 lbs

wire thickness 13.2mm (.052") free length of unmounted 324.2mm (12.76")

FOR touring - USE ONLY RED (in emergency WHITE is permissable

always use "1 Dot " rubber top cushion

FRONT SUSP SPRINGS

green/blue 635-656 lbs

white/blue 614-636 lbs

red/blue 595-614 lbs

wire thickness 11.8mm (0.465") free length unmounted 337.2mm (13.28")

Heavy duty conversion (only if rear is also converted)

green/grey/green 606/626 lbs

white/grey/white 584-606 lbs

red/grey/red 564-584 lbs

wire thickness 12mm (0.47") free length unmounted 345mm (13.58")

..........SO, AS YOU CAN SEE , WHEN INSPECTING UNKNOWN SPRINGS, THE FREE LENGTH CAN BE CLOSE, BUT IT'S THE WIRE THICKNESS THAT YOU NEED TO MEASURE CAREFULLY

THIS REF. FROM BMW REPAIR MANUAL (PRINTED) VOL.2

and. . . ..

rear coil spring upper rubber 'damper ring' comes in 3 heights:

28 mm height = 1 dot and green color code

33 mm height = 2 dot and white color code

37 mm height = 3 dot and red color code

Note: always fit top spring damper with 1 dot for Touring models (of course for orig springs)

check availability with dealer, one was NLA reciently.

the bottom rear coil spring rubber damper ring comes only in one thickness = 24mm

ref. 33-0/8 specifations BMW Repair Manual Vol. 2

AND........

SPRING TIME TECHNICAL DATA:

Message Title: Re: front or back?

10 1/4 " = Front

12 " = Rear

these are my 'old' Suspension Technique (dark GOLD painted) springs

measured "free" un-mounted length

and from factory manual:

13.28" = Front std

13.58" = Front Heavy Duty

13.17" Rear std.

14.25" Rear for Baur Convertible

...so according to this info, you could have shorter or longer springs in the rear than front ! What matters is wire diameter and lb. rating / spring load rating. So difficult to say with out knowing any part numbers or spring mfg. which of you springs belongs where. How about buying a new set of H&R 's which are clearly marked and you'll have a'fresh' set on the car. Throw some new BILSTEINS on while your at it.

Edited by '76mintgrun'02

Thank you all for the input. I like the originality of the color paint marks so I think I may just try to clean them up with a light resto and put them aside if I decide to reinstall them later when I tear down the car for an upcoming paint/bodywork. I'll do complete measurements on the size and thickness of the springs to make sure they back in the right place.

I am running IE stage ones right now with Bili HDs and it's a nice driving set up. But Im thinking of converting (almost) everything back to stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (owned 10 years)

A few steering wheels

My struts were completely shot when I got my car so the first thing I did was replace them with HDs.

Of course, the 'while I am in there' bug bit and H&R springs went in at the same time.

So, I had very little experience on the original springs, to know what they felt like and if I had driven on them, the struts/shocks would have tainted my perspective.

I am thinking I will put the spacers back in up front and make some to go on top of the one dot rear pads I have, to raise the car a little, but keep the progressive springs.  Not today though.

I did save the original springs, of course.  IIRC, we have the same fronts and mine came with the lightest of the 'heavy duty' springs in the rear.  It also came with a trailer hitch, which came off after the third ding in my shins.

my orig '70 model springs are outside holding a tarp down on the woodpile.

They do have paint marks as I recall

Can take pics of woodpile if needed

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

3 hours ago, JohnP_02 said:

Thank you all for the input. I like the originality of the color paint marks so I think I may just try to clean them up with a light resto and put them aside if I decide to reinstall them later when I tear down the car for an upcoming paint/bodywork. I'll do complete measurements on the size and thickness of the springs to make sure they back in the right place.

I am running IE stage ones right now with Bili HDs and it's a nice driving set up. But Im thinking of converting (almost) everything back to stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey John - look at the suspension thread Jason did on my car - he cleaned the springs on my car somehow.  You can see the paint marks really well in the pics.  

EDIT:  The blue and white are the fronts (at least on my car).  The rears had yellow and green paint on 'em.  

You could always ask him how he cleaned them.  Might have been gasoline.  

The thread is in the Blog Archive section.  

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/113719-1972-tii-suspension-restoration/

Scott

Edited by saaron

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI