• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WallothNesch Rear Wing Gasket Length

Roundeie

Maybe I'm missing something but my wing window gaskets are a bit long. I did look again at the order and see the order is correct yet the gasket is longer than needed. Cut and move on or what??

Photos later...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it is cut to size.  Measure to length before installation or test install and cut several times to get it a snug fit top and bottom.  This a major cause of wind noise so a tight fit is important. 

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

No No No--it is NOT cut to to fit.  Start at the kink at the rear and get it to fit firmly in place.  Then work your way forward to the B pillar on the top and bottom.  The ends have to be carefully trimmed to fit into irregular channels on the pillar.  Trim a little at a time for the fit.  I add a little extra to the final length so there is a compression fit once installed.

7 minutes ago, nbcbird said:

No No No--it is NOT cut to to fit.  Start at the kink at the rear and get it to fit firmly in place.  Then work your way forward to the B pillar on the top and bottom.  The ends have to be carefully trimmed to fit into irregular channels on the pillar.  Trim a little at a time for the fit.  I add a little extra to the final length so there is a compression fit once installed.

So what you're saying is, you cut it to fit a little bit at a time.

You could lop an easy 5" off the top and still have enough left over for "trim to fit".

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Yes trim to about an inch over length and work down from there.  The final end profile is a series of notches.  My OEM gaskets were about 4 inches too long total (Roundeie's look about 8 inches).

Edited by nbcbird

Photoc880cb312a7c13345eb9a2d0f8c2d452.jpg of horrible mock up

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Roundeie

I'm at a similar stage with my 02. I noticed the dynamat on rear panel. I'm curious is there any reason why you've only done patches and not covered fully? Is it clearance? Cheers Aussie02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't need to cover everything with fat mat style sound proofing. Even small squares stuck onto big flat panels alter the resonant frequency of the panel. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/