• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 v 71 brakes

My 70 02 has single brake booster the 71 has double. The 71 is the parts donor to the 70.

What's the advice re modifying the 70 to use double boosters?

Was it just safety that lead BMW to do it firstly?

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basically it followed the move from single circuit brakes to double circuit. BMW took this as being an almost 100% duplication of the braking system. 

Never heard of any 2002s fitted with single circuit brakes, I thought it was only 1600s. 

Check your front calipers. How many hoses do they have?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

3 hours ago, Simeon said:

Never heard of any 2002s fitted with single circuit brakes

Actually, my '68 2002 had single circuit brakes and a single brake booster.  It looks like 2002's up to VIN 1664760 (North America) had this configuration.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

4 hours ago, halboyles said:

Actually, my '68 2002 had single circuit brakes and a single brake booster.  It looks like 2002's up to VIN 1664760 (North America) had this configuration.

Hal, I think if you examine your master cylinder closely, you'll see that you do in fact have a dual brake setup, as it was required on US spec cars beginning with the 1968 model year.  Your brake fluid reservoir is mounted directly on the M/C, and you'll notice it has two outlets--one for each circuit.  Your car does have two piston calipers; the 4 piston units were indeed fitted beginning with US VIN 1664761.  My '69 was built 40 cars after that changeover, thankfully!

It was only RHD cars that had the dual brake boosters, and I think it was due to space restrictions caused by the engine's right side tilt and the exhaust manifold, but am not sure. 

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Wouldn't shock me if RHD got a single circuit until it was mandated by Australian law- it's not fun to try to get RHD brakes on a 2002, no matter how you do it.

They are a nice safety feature, though...

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The only thing at the back of my mind was whether someone had modified the system to remove one of the boosters. Definitely not saying that happened but a 1970 car seems a bit late for single circuit calipers. 

The remote boosters were definitely done for space reasons though the arrangement does allow us to have 'proper' pedals. ;)

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

11 hours ago, mike said:

Hal, I think if you examine your master cylinder closely,

Mike,  I would love to see my beautiful Verona '68 once again but, alas, it has been over 25 years since I had to sell it.  It was either the '02 or the kids as you can't fit child safety seats in the back with 5 point harness shoulder straps and a roll bar in the way!  In retrospect, I might have made the wrong choice.

But it was a very early '68 I purchased in '74 from the original owner who picked it up in Boston. And I do recall thinking that the original calipers were as small as the CS rear calipers we fitted to the trailing arms to match the CS vented ones we put on the struts.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png