• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch Bleeding Question

Hi guys,

Just have a quick question.

Have just finished a 5 speed swap on my RHD 73 2002, and I have just had a go at bleeding the clutch manually but it doesn't seem to want to work. 

After about 20-30 minutes of bleeding I can get clutch pressure after about 15-20 pumps of the pedal but thats it. 

Just wanting to know if theres something I've done wrong? Was thinking I might have to change the master cylinder to match the 5 speed one in size but I've never read anything about anyone doing that in any posts. Anyone have any suggestions? 

I appreciate any information, thank you for your time.

Arlo.

make sure to bleed the master cylinder. Since there is no bleed nipple, you have to pump the clutch a few times, crack the outlet as someone else is pushing the peddle down, then tighten it back up before they let it up. Then bleed the slave cylinder.

Make sure you didn't install the slave cylinder upside down. The bleed nipple should be on the bottom....and use thread sealant on the nipple threads.

If you have the master upside- right (does it need to be upside- down in Oz?)  with the bleeder pointed DOWN as Armin says,

then the clutch should, eventually, self- bleed if you get ANYTHING out of it.

Stompety- stomp- stomp- stomp often does it.  I learnt that out of frustration one day.

No, the master's sized about right.

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 5 months later...

Sorry to drag up this old chestnut !!

But, I am struggling to gain any pressure on my pedal.  I am guessing when you say to pump the pedal Toby, you mean with the nipple closed on the slave ?

I have tried manual bleeding with someone pushing the pedal while I open the nipple and with a pressure kit, but I'm still not getting a pedal !!  Any suggestions ?

You haven't got the slave cylinder installed upside down with the bleed screw at the bottom? I think 5 speeds are particularly bad for this. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I was 50/50 and got it wrong. Ignore me.

It still seems slightly counter productive as you would think having the bleed screw at the top would help getting the air out. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

9 hours ago, Simeon said:

I was 50/50 and got it wrong. Ignore me.

It still seems slightly counter productive as you would think having the bleed screw at the top would help getting the air out. 

If you look at the angle of the bleeder you can see that when it is facing down it is actually drawing from the top of the slave, if you take the bleeder out and look inside you can see where it pulls from.  If I was an artist I would draw a picture because it is hard to explain but I aint got no art skills.

• Like 1

74 Golf