• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ID part. Reading therm. transmitter?

Hey Everyone,

This part fell off from my firewall and I am having problems identifying what it is.  Can anyone help?  I think I found it in the Haynes manual as a "reading therm. transmitter" but can not find any information online.  Does anyone know if I can still buy the rubber that broke?  Any advice or insight would be awesome.  Still learning to wrench.  Thanks!  

IMG_7182.JPG.jpeg

IMG_7172.JPG.jpeg

That is a vacuum solenoid valve that is part of your emissions system. If it wasn't connected to any thin rubber hoses then I wouldn't worry about it. Someone has already taken it out of service. 

Don't know where you are and what your smog laws are like but search on this site for details of 'de-smogging' or removing the emissions equipment. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

1 hour ago, Simeon said:

That is a vacuum solenoid valve that is part of your emissions system. If it wasn't connected to any thin rubber hoses then I wouldn't worry about it. Someone has already taken it out of service. 

Don't know where you are and what your smog laws are like but search on this site for details of 'de-smogging' or removing the emissions equipment. 

Oh nice!  I live in California and the car is a 72 so its pre-smog so I do not have to comply with any emissions.  As it broke from its mount can I remove it?  Thanks for your reply!  

Like I say, I will defer to others on the finer points of California law but if that's the case there are a number of redundant things you can remove. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I doubt that is a sensor, it only has 2 wires on it and the case isn't grounded in any way.

If there is no vacuum line running to it, then it's doing nothing and you can safely unplug/remove it.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

It looks like it has a white top, which pulled vacuum from the intake manifold and activated the dashpot on the Solex 2 barrel carb.  If your Solex carb is long gone, you can remove it and throw it in your neighbor's pool.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

31 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

It looks like it has a white top, which pulled vacuum from the intake manifold and activated the dashpot on the Solex 2 barrel carb.  If your Solex carb is long gone, you can remove it and throw it in your neighbor's pool.

Mark92131

PO replaced with a weber.  Pulling it tonight!  Thanks!  Less crap in the engine bay!