• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 speed swap NK

Naz

My biggest obstacle on planning out this 5 speed conversion has been the differential - I'm still trying to find a way to make the input shaft a 4 bolt rather than a 3 bolt flange.  I see there are some used final drives with 4 bolt input flanges on ebay.de that are from 1800's, but they are 4.11 rather than 3.91 and the 3.91 is what I want with the 5 speed.  I'm wondering at this point if you can swap out the input flange and cut off the centering pin that is part of the input gear (I'm guessing).  Or maybe just have the flange on the drive shaft drilled out larger than necessary so the centering pin fits through without actually acting as a centering pin.

sDSC04939.jpg

The difference in a 3.91 to 4.11 is only 5% so at 3000 rpm we’re talking only 150 rpm.  My 2000 has a five speed and 4.11, I’m glad it has the five speed!

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

10 hours ago, 02tom said:

Looks like I should strongly reconsider the 4.11; the 3.91 was what came with the 5 speed 320's, so I just thought that would be the better ratio.  

NK 14" wheels have a larger circumference so it's probably about the equivalent of a 3.9:1 with a 13" (roughly, I've not done any math, and assuming the same profile of tyre). And as Chris says the difference is marginal anyway. 

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just measured the surface area again, and it's a 6 bolt 228. I did not realize this was uncommon, and my car is a 67 manufacture date titled as a 68. The trans tunnel is most likely going to need some massaging. I had the block, trans and mounts all bolted up and it was pretty tight in the tunnel, bur will have to work thru that later

Are you sure its a 228? I had six bolt flywheel and concluded it was 215. Switched cranks to get 8 bolt and 228. On another note, does NK tunnel require thumping to clear newer slave cyl??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I believe it's original to the car and saw a month ago that Walloth Nesch had one just like it in new condition for sale. The driveshaft uses multiple rubber discs, like some of the early 02s. What kind is it? I'm not sure, but it is a short neck, with 3.91 gear set. It has the 3 bolt input shaft with the centering pin for a rubber disc at the rear of the drive shaft. The half shafts have groups of 3 Allen bolts which have the assymetrical pattern compare with the later paired bolts with a symmetrical pattern.

So, 02tom, what kind of diff is that???
I had 4 ear flange welded onto original 3 ear drive shaft with long neck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...