• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 tii exhaust & unrelated valuation question

hdaraee

So, two totally (mostly) unrelated questions here:

First, the easy one:  73 tii with stock tii exhaust manifold.  Muffler and exhaust pipe are finally rusting/rotting out.  Car sounds like a Honda (insert cringing sounds here).  entire exhaust system should be replaced.  My mechanic is suggesting that I keep the stock tii exhaust manifold which will provide better performance than going with an aftermarket header.  He is suggesting just replacing the pipes from the manifold back with a new stock-ish muffler.  I want to put something on the car that helps performance and gives it a nice sport car rumble, without making folks think I'm trying to be 19 again.  What do you think?  And, for those who have gone with a performance muffler set up, what have you used.  I had a 75 02 with an Ansa muffler that I liked, but I'm wondering if Borla or Magnaflo might be an equally good option but might cost less.  

Second, the harder question:  how much of a value difference do you think there is between a stock 73 tii and 73 tii that has been transplanted into a 70 1600 body?  20%? 30% 50% value difference???  Assume the following to be true:  both cars are drivers.  Both are equipped the exact same way (5-speed, rebuilt motor, rims & tires, suspension, interior, paint).  For the sake of this exercise, assume that both cars really are equal in all respects, except the difference in the body.  This is just an academic question.  

Thanks a bunch!

H

Edited by hdaraee

A 1970 1600-2 with a tii engine (and front struts, and boxed trailing arms, and etc.) is simply a 1970 1600-2 with a tii engine: it neither becomes a tii nor accrues a tii's market value.  Cars are defined by their VIN's and the VIN generally goes with the chassis -- unless you're skirting the law...

There are lots of good threads on here about non-stock exhausts.  Have you done a Google search on the forum with a search string such as "exhaust replace"?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

5 minutes ago, Simeon said:

You will ruin both cars. 1600's are getting more desirable too. 

Not suggesting I want to to do this.  There is a care for sale someone has already converted.  I'm thinking of buying it, but I'm trying to figure out  what the real value is.

H

I would keep the stock exhaust manifold for a non hot rodded engine, the factory did do extensive dyno testing on the m-10 and for the most part got it right, as to which aftermarket exhaust go through the threads here, a few of them have audio clips, and find what your looking for it's up to your taste.

Edited by Son of Marty

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

After 30+ years of 2002ing...and countless aftermarket exhausts....I have come to the conclusion that nothing fits or performs as well as the genuine BMW exhaust, on a tii. Yes...it's quiet, but the car runs stronger / better than ever. Ansa rots out or comes apart internally, the IE stuff does both *and* cracks / requires fitment fiddling. Ansa or Bosal (not to be confused with BOYSEN - which truly IS one of the original manufacturers for BMW) "stock style" is less expensive than the real deal BMW stuff, but you may end up replacing it three times, versus the life span of a genuine system. Exhausts aren't cheap, but if you can forego your desire for "sporty sound" and can fit it in the budget, it's the way to go . 

Just my experience... but man o' man do i LOVE having a stock factory BMW exhaust again!!!!

Edited by wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com