• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove front fascia / nose?

Mucci

I've tracked down a new front fascia on a donor car and want to fully understand how to remove it before I go get it. 

Is there a step by step somewhere on how to do this? I'm having trouble finding something. 

From looking at my car it appears there's spot welds along the radiator support and maybe bolts in the front fender edge. I can't tell what's going on towards the back / in the engine compartment. Luckily the donor car doesn't have a motor in it. 

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

1 hour ago, 02Les said:

This is an old one that may help you.Front End Replacement 1.jpgFront End Replacement 2.jpgFront End Replacement 3.jpgFront End Replacement 4.jpgFront End Replacement 5.jpg

Fantastic! Although they used a recip saw to get it off I think I have a good idea of what needs to be done. Thanks!

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

What book or publication are these scans from ?   I would love to find a copy of what ever they came out of as I am just beginning to dig into my cars rust issues.    My lower front spoiler area ( for lack of correct term) is loose all the way across the bottom edge and I can't really tell how it is supposed to fasten as things are fairly well beaten up under there.  Anyone have a photo from underneath of what it is supposed to look like ?  Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks

Jim

I believe the article is from Practical Classics. It was a magazine devoted to the DIY restorers and enthusiasts in the UK.  I don't believe it is still being published.  

You may want to post some pictures of the bottom edge of your nose panel to give us an idea of what you describe as looseness.  The nose panel consists of three sheet metal parts that are spot welded together to make the complete unit.  I removed the nose from my '72 to determine that it only requires patching in a relatively limited area on the lower rear right.  Of course I found this out after I bought a clip that I totally disassembled, de-rusted, and primed. 

Paul

3 hours ago, 02Les said:

I honestly cannot remember where this came from.

However, Practical Classics is still going strong.

http://www.practicalclassics.co.uk

It's probably all 90's cars now. I was told that a Peugeot 209 GTI is considered a classic now (and it probably is). 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Saw some pretty good photos of what my nose section should look like from underneath/behind in another post by Tilux and a nose he removed.   It appears the entire weld and the involved metal along the bottom on mine is gone where the front skin joins the substructure.   I did get a reply from Jaymic in the UK and they can still provide a metal stamping of the lower skin.  Contemplating that route and then just try to create some new bracing of sorts underneath.  Not entirely correct but it may solve the problem unless you look behind the nose.  Otherwise from what I am hearing a full nose replacement may be beyond my weekend skill set.    The photos from underneath are a little hard to follow but I see lots of sky where I think there should be metal. The last photo shows the metal available from Jaymic with the recommended cut location marked in red.   Maybe I should just clean it all up and put on a plastic front spoiler and move along ?  This is not show car material to start with just want to drive it and not look like I'm on my way to the scrapper.Lower Passenger Nose.jpgLower Driver Nose.jpgDrivers side Nose.jpgCenter Nose.jpgNose underside 1.jpgNose underside.jpgPassenger side Nose .jpgJaymic Replacement.jpg