• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 1800 TISA

tisalover

5 hours ago, tisalover said:

You may try finding some maroon vinyl which more closely matches your own patina'd  door panels and rear seat , and sending it along.

Morning Peter,

the vinyl he has is NOS original, with the slightly marbled effect. Obviously brighter than stuff that's been used and seen the sun for 50 years, but I doubt you'll find a better match anywhere in the world. I searched long and hard, and he asked his sources, for the grey vinyl of my interior, but sadly nothing could be found.  

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Hey Nick, you're right things don't get better than new old stock original.

I just had surprising luck when I redid a seat recently, I gave the upholstery shop a piece of the original vinyl and they got it pretty close. I remain an eternal optimist. Hope that spring is beginning and the weather is nice in the south of France. Maybe I'll get it together to come visit you sometime sooner rather than later.

Sincerely, Peter

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

Did some more cleaning today.  First picture shows before and after on the trim lining the edge of the trunk.  Second one shows a date stamp on the back of the wood brace at rear of the center console.

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

Bill Morris

17 hours ago, alfagta said:

Did some more cleaning today.  First picture shows before and after on the trim lining the edge of the trunk.  Second one shows a date stamp on the back of the wood brace at rear of the center console.

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

that part is 51 weeks older than me.....Terry

Edited by alpina02

• 2 weeks later...

Those are plain 1800 TI pistons, they don't have the valve relief and they were likely 9.3 to 1 compression ratio. Bill has some great pictures of his motor with the head off that show the original domes. 

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

• 2 weeks later...

In taking apart my seat rails I found that the driver's side has a broken tooth on the adjuster.  Please see pictures, including the stamp on the back.

Anyone have an extra?  There was a stop in the back that was broken on mine.  It bolted on to the rail.

Also, I'm told I need the top portion of the thermostat housing.  I don't have a picture of that.

Thanks, all.

Bill

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

Bill Morris

That's easily welded up isn't it?

You'll need to clarify which part of the thermostat housing you're after. If it's the very top cover that the rad hose attaches to then this is common with all the early NK and should be relatively easy to track down. Expect yours is pitted - so was mine, but it sealed fine with a little help from some gasket sealant. 

Nick

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

An update for the interested:

1.  Terry was able the weld the broken tooth on the seat runner.  Looks good as new.  Wish it was as easy with my dentist.

2.  Needed T-stat housing piece is the upper one that attaches to rad hose.  Mine was beyond help.  Anyone out there with an extra or a lead?

3.  Picture #1 shows a date stamp (6 April 65) on the inside of one of the seat hinges.  Car build date was 27 April.  #133 apparently was delivered with the standard seats--? dealer switch.  I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on that point.  Two buckets are being built by Gareth in UK--hoping they'll be done by the fall.

4.  Picture #2 shows one of the 6x14 wheels which recently arrived from Germany.

5.  No news yet on the engine rebuild as far as necessary bore size, etc.

6.  Rebuilt CR 5 speed dogleg trans arrived from England.  We're planning to shelve the one in the car.

Bill

IMG_0580.JPG

IMG_0581.JPG

Edited by alfagta

Bill Morris

Bill, thanks for the update, I will look for a upper thermostat cover, I think I have one. Good move on the later model close ratio gearbox, I did the same thing, my original one was rebuilt several times due to its weakness. Did you get a full set of 6 x 14 wheels, that one looks beautiful, however it's been painted gray, rather than silver, has it been restored? 

I drove my TISA out of the barn where it spends its winter hibernation, and it ran blessedly well, NO despicable rodents seem to have discovered it, thanks to the bounce dryer sheets. I am going to put a 1 to 3 distributor in it, and have the original one rebuild. I'm not sure I'm DSCN7433.thumb.JPG.9c9b175674167f54f6446ffb8ebd995a.JPGDSCN7434.thumb.JPG.56359baa0bb7391c0b62fffaa9a53498.JPGenough to drive a car with 411 gears and a race exhaust all the way to the vintage again this year. I may put the original longer geared differential without limited slip into it and put a quieter exhaust on, but I am running out of time.

Best regards, Peter