• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 1800 TISA

tisalover

There is a BMW 1800 TISA for sale in the back of the BMW club Roundel this month. Somewhere in the Midwest, Ohio I think. Also, I recently found this digitized photograph a BMW 1800 TISA racing on the Pennsylvania Hillclimb association racing circuit. It belong to a guy named Charlie Markham who  was a BMW dealer in New Jersey. He replaced it with a second hillclimb car, a 2002 which he bought just to race. I will include a few extra pictures, to make it more interesting.

Best regards, Peter

IMG_3990.JPG

IMG_3991.JPG

DSCN1104.JPG

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

Wish I could by the TiSA in the Roundel.

• Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I wish there was a way to learn the VIN of Charlie Markham's TiSA. There's a chance it could be the deWitt's 995184 as that car came from PA and has unknown racing history.

It's great to see 995133 is going to a good home, Racecraft certainly know TiSAs! What are the plans for the car?

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

It will be in good company at Racecraft.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Hey guys, and Tom especially, I too wondered if Charlie Markham's BMW 1800 TISA could be PatDewitts car. I asked an old BMW enthusiast and historian and he said that Charlie Markham sold his BMW 1800 Tisa when he bought the BMW 2002, 1970 model, and turned it into a B sedan  class racer. I recently purchased this 2002 racer-now robins egg blue, originally Granada red car, it has been turned into a GT three car but has a Tisa steering box, full shack motor, period Alcon 4 piston brakes,and close ratio factory five-speed gear box in it. The carburetors(45 dcoe webers), and other parts on the car are reportedly original to it's early racing history. Charlie Markham is reportedly still alive, but about 91 years old and retired in Florida. I will try and get in touch with him.

Best regards, Peter

PS, do you think the new owner of the Ohio Tisa will/could maybe post some pictures for those of us who are sentimental old BMW 1800 TISA lovers. :rolleyes:DSCN8700.JPG2010-hillclimb-poster.jpg

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

Will get some pictures and more info after it arrives.  The pre-sale photos are not the best.  It looks pretty rough--like it's sat in a warehouse for 35 years, which it has.  I'm buying it on a promise and a prayer.  Mostly, the devil, Terry Forland, made me do it.

It has comfort seats instead of the buckets and solexes.  We have a line on the correct Webers.

If anyone has access to some Restall buckets, I'd really like to know, even if they need complete restoration.  Failing that we'll probably try to have some new ones made by that place in England. 

Bill

Bill Morris

Hi Bill, congratulations on your new car! I recently purchased a set of non Tisa  Restall master fit buckets, (650 at the Hershey Porsche swap meet, so they are out there.  People purchased the seats and put them in the different things, these were in a VW Karmen Ghia. I recently saw a pair in a Ferrari Daytona, but the owner wanted several million dollars for the car.)  I then made Tisa like lower bolsters for them. I believe the restall Company is in fact still making bucket seats in England. I sold my last spare set to Carl Nelson many years ago, as evil fiends had stolen the seats out of his Tisa while it was parked at his shop in San Diego. Please feel free to PM me your phone number, I have many old 1800 parts, and may be able to help with your Tisa DSCN1925.JPGDSCN1962.JPGDSCN1370.JPGrestoration.

Don't worry, you will  love your Tisa. I've included more bucket seat pictures, because I have found them to be some of the most comfortable seats in the universe and sexy in a perverted bucket seat sort of way. 

Best regards, Peter

DSCN9104.JPG

Looking forward to seeing this find.

There is one company making copies of the restalls you found Peter,

http://www.bryanpurves.co.uk/miscellaneous/4578771262

and one man making perfect replicas of the tisa seats - however, he's difficult to deal with, only communicates by email when it suits him, which is not often, and is very expensive. However, he tracked down probably the last remaining roll of original spec burgundy vinyl. I think he also works alone and has very long lead times. I'm not even sure if it's his full time job. I gave up trying, esp as I didn't want the burgundy seats. 

Thanks.  I emailed Bryan.  He responded, saying that he's having trouble making the base surround, since he hasn't been able to access an original seat or patterns.  Sounds like he's working on getting the patterns.  I guess it's things like this that make projects interesting.

I'll keep in touch with him and appreciate any further leads.

Bill

Bill Morris

5 minutes ago, alfagta said:

Thanks.  I emailed Bryan.  He responded, saying that he's having trouble making the base surround, since he hasn't been able to access an original seat or patterns.  Sounds like he's working on getting the patterns.  I guess it's things like this that make projects interesting.

I'll keep in touch with him and appreciate any further leads.

Bill

I know someone with a spare, but they have already got a new set made by the other guy. Didn't know Bryan was trying to make a replica too. Be handy if he could get his hands on a seat to copy - will see if I can do anything. 

Hi Bill and Nick, I would be willing to send Bryan, or whomever- multiple pictures and detailed measurements to aid in this project.  I have one spare Real Tisa seatDSCN1119.JPGIMG_0495.JPGDSCN1920.JPGDSCN1924.JPG I have been dragging around for 20 years, which I recently had recovered and used for making templates and the lower aluminum bolsters on my swapmeet restall masterfit black seats. The original Tisa seats had fiberglass bolsters, and they would always break. Many years ago, I would reinforce them with steel angle irons, and aluminum or other plate so that the fiberglass could not break. Bill I just got your note recently, and I will give you a call soon. The bottom surrounds and bolsters were not very hard to make out of aluminum. Here are some more pictures of the fabrication process. I could make cardboard templates to go with the measurements for the lower bolsters if need be.

Best regards, Peter