• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wtb: Headlight buckets(American Style)

rapandi

I had some scrap metals laying around to test the idea. Folded them up and made a couple of U channels.  Lined them up with the bucket, marked and drilled to match.  Since the back wall of the nose slants in, these will naturally be parallelograms.  Cleared out the interference with the horizontal beam adjustment screw.  

Attached are some pictures.  The right headlight is as-is.  The left headlight is after the mod.

Looked okay as a concept.  I have already ordered an 1" aluminum channel piece.  This material should be a lot more rigid than my mock up.  

Good luck.

IMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2621.JPG

IMG_2617.JPG

IMG_2618.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

Edited by Tsingtao_1903
  • Like 1

Very tidy, but does this assume that the headlights are correctly aligned when they are flush to the headlight surrounds?  That seems too tidy to believe....or is adjustment still possible?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

20 minutes ago, Conserv said:

does this assume that the headlights are correctly aligned when they are flush to the headlight surrounds?

No, it would be most fortuitous if the headlights are correctly aligned and correctly aimed after the mod.  All this does is to relocate the headlights further out closer to the edge of the buckets.  I do not believe the headlights will be flush with the rim of the buckets.  But on the whole, I think they will be close, and look better..  Each headlight will be adjustable as the vertical and horizontal adjustment knobs are still accessible.  

As of now, this is only a concept.  When I have the correct aluminum channel to do a proper mod this weekend, I will take pictures, do the headlight adjustments and post the results.  We will know better then.

Edited by Tsingtao_1903

1 minute ago, Tsingtao_1903 said:

No, it would be most fortuitous if the headlights are correctly aligned after the mod.  All this does is to relocate the headlights further out closer to the edge of the buckets.  I do not believe the headlights will be flush with the rim of the buckets.  But on the whole, I think they will be close, and look better..  Each headlight will still need to be adjusted as the vertical and horizontal adjustment knobs are still accessible.  

As of now, this is only a concept.  When I have the correct aluminum channel to do a proper mod this weekend, I will take pictures, do the headlight adjustments and post the results.  We will know better then.

Looking forward to the updates!

Raj

1972 BMW 2002 Tii - Golf Yellow

39 minutes ago, Tsingtao_1903 said:

No, it would be most fortuitous if the headlights are correctly aligned and correctly aimed after the mod.  All this does is to relocate the headlights further out closer to the edge of the buckets.  I do not believe the headlights will be flush with the rim of the buckets.  But on the whole, I think they will be close, and look better..  Each headlight will be adjustable as the vertical and horizontal adjustment knobs are still accessible.  

Got it!  Awaiting further developments....

Regards,

Steve

Hi All,
Now that Raj has his order filled I'm jumping on this thread as I'm looking for the same.

WTB a pair of US sealed beam buckets with retainer rings in good condition. Happy with a bit of surface rust but they must be functional & not damaged. I'm not fussed on the filler rings as I'll fab up standoffs if necessary.

I'm in Brisbane Australia (about 20km from Raj as it turns out) so please include postage.

PM via forum is preferred contact. Ta.

Some updates.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, relocating the headlight buckets is one thing.  Aiming them correctly is another.  I can now add that there is a limit to how far out the buckets can be relocated.  It turns out that once the bucket is filled/touched the headlight, then, the side grilles still have to be able to mount/screwed flush to the nose.  The first picture is where an 3/4" aluminum channel was used;  The bucket moved about 1" out.  There was a huge gap as the grille could not be mounted flush to the nose.

After playing around with different channel widths, 5/8" wide was deemed the best. This is as wide a channel that can be used.  Because of the slant of the nose, the most the buckets can be moved was about 3/4" out (My geometry is a little rusty.  But, it is basically the hypotenuse of the right triangle where the long leg is 5/8").  

The next couple of pictures show that the adjustment knobs can still be access to aim the headlights.

After adjusting and aiming the headlights, on my car, the RHS bucket filled out nicely.  The LHS bucket filled out on one side and had a gap on the other.  On the whole, I am happy with how this turned out.  The front of the car looked a whole lot better.

IMG_2652.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2649.JPG

IMG_2648.JPG

IMG_2647.JPG

IMG_2646.JPG

IMG_2645.JPG

IMG_2643.JPG

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 71bmr02 said:

Maybe mount left on right, right on left if that doesnt work?

The buckets are designed such that they can not be swapped left and right positions.  I already tried that for a different reason.  :huh:

I believe the adjusters do allow for quite a bit of movement.

5 hours ago, 02Les said:

Silly question time!

Can the US buckets, presumably designed for a LHD car driving on the right side of the road, be fitted and aimed correctly for a RHD car driving on the left side?

My gut, Les, says that the bare buckets are "neutral" and that the cutoff for LHD U.S. cars, is provided by the headlamps chosen and the adjustment screws.  But I could be wrong....

Best regards,

Steve

6 hours ago, Tsingtao_1903 said:

The buckets are designed such that they can not be swapped left and right positions.

Please allow me re-phrase my previous statement.  Yes, you can physically swap the right / left buckets and the mounting holes/studs will line up.  However, the bucket parts of the position-swapped assemblies will be pointed in the "toe out" position.  There is not enough movement in the adjustment screws to aim the headlights to point straight once swapped.

Edited by Tsingtao_1903

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

My gut, Les, says that the bare buckets are "neutral" and that the cutoff for LHD U.S. cars, is provided by the headlamps chosen and the adjustment screws.  But I could be wrong....

Best regards,

Steve

The reason I queried it Steve was......the Euro headlight reflector is specific (different) for LHD and RHD. It could be that the adjusters are "handed".

I'm going to have to see if I can find my old RHD headlights and compare them to what I bought over here.

Cheers.

Edited by 02Les
added text

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17