• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Race engine - how did you block off rear coolant hose?

KLawre2685

Working on my race engine and wondering how folks blocked off the hose for the rear of the head where the coolant line goes to bypass the heater.

I currently have it connected to the water pump with a setup that I have little confidence in and if its not needed I would rather block it off.  

I'm hesitant to unscrew the adapter from the block as it looks to be corroded and hate to do any damage to it or the head.

Thanks.

Keith 

You could soak the existing fitting with some penetrant then try to remove it from the larger fitting on the rear of the head.  The fittings on both my 69 and 72 engines came out relatively easy.

I just measured the (2) spare fittings I have.  Both have M22 x 1.50 threads.

Think there have been some threads posted on this topic (bypassing the heater box).  Comments were made about routing the head back to the water pump to prevent hot spots (and dead passage) if you just plug the end of the head.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Do not route it back to the water pump, you will just circulate water through the block, out the back of the head and through the water pump, no cooling through the radiator.  On race engines block off the back of the head and the water pump inlet under the intake manifold. You can run a thermostat if you would like ( it is much easier with a large radiator to use a t-stat instead of trying to block off part of the radiator o a cool day to get enough heat n the engine)

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC