• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is the best upgrade for a automatic transmission

BarneyT

Oh yes..."show car" is subject to interpretation. My last show car was a "Rust-Runner", not a Rum Runner.   I hope the '67 CS will treat me more kindly.  The Solexes go back on today; hopefully, I can drive it to our little BMW C&C on Saturday :)

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

4HP22s were also used in the E28, E32 and E34 with different bellhousings for M20 and M10/M30 installations. There is also the EH variety which has electronic control features which would allow for flipper control mods. There may be problems with the speedo drive however as all these models use an electronic speedo and take speed info from the diff.

I must admit, as I get older and traffic becomes heavier, that I'm liking autos more and more. 

02tii 2751928 (2582)

they were used in dozens of other vehicles too, and whilst the m30 engined variations would bolt up I believe they had different toque convertors and anything with an electronic brain is going to be a pain in the arse. Does it talk with the engine ECU? Does it require any other sensors? I'm sure anything can be made to work, but the 318 is the only simple option.

(A friend installed an m21 diesel with the 4hp in a chevy side step - no matter what they couldn't get the auto box to work and in the end switched to a manual box, and that was a professional garage)

But yeah, none had a mechanical speedo drive so that needs to be addressed regardless. 

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Thanks for all the input, it's seems the best starting place is the 84/85 318i box and some type of GPS speed reading set up...at this point I'm going to put what I have back together with new oil and see how it goes while being on the lookout for the m10 box / 4HP22H than I would/will need....thanks Barney

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…