• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door Panel Screws vs plastic clips

doslucero

I recently made some new door panels using vinyl and plywood for the door cards.  Does anyone have experience using door panel screws as opposed to the plastic clips? I made holes in the door cards for the clips but the holes are not the perfect size for the original plastic clips.  If I was to use screws, how might I attach them to the doors? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.  

Roberto IMG_2869 (1).JPGRNB-02409_DP_xl.jpg

Clips are the way BMW did it, it is the best solution. Otherwise you have to screw through the vinyl and wood and into solid metal.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

It would be a shame to screw through that vinyl. If you HAVE to do it, using the cup washers is the right way to do it.

Since the plywood will be stiffer than the original Masonite type backing, you would probably get away with one in each of the bottom corners (assuming that you still have the section that wraps around the top of the door shell). 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Thanks for the replies guys.  I'm really wondering if anyone has experience using screws and whether they screwed directly into the door metal or into something that can be put in the existing clip holes in the door that will catch the screw.  Adawil, I already have holes in the door cards where the original clips go.  Simeon, I agree It would be a shame to screw through the vinyl but check out the singer door panels below.  I think the screws could add a nice custom touch if done tastefully and I hate the original plastic clips.  Dang, thanks, I've done many online searches and have seen the abundance of plastic door panel clips available.

45b966703c3262cf84fbffc1235b755e.jpg

Edited by doslucero

11 minutes ago, doslucero said:

Simeon, I agree It would be a shame to screw through the vinyl but check out the singer door panels below.  

911 door panels were screwed through the panel like that from the factory for many years, that is not a custom feature on Singer cars. 

Edited by Lorin

Thanks Lorin.  I think the screws would be a nice custom touch to the BMW not Porsche.  I've been in a few Porsches with the screws in the door panels.  The advantage of the screws with my plywood door cards is that if there is warping of the wood, the plastic clips are not going to keep the door panels flush to the door yet screws will keep those door panels flush and straight and there isn't an worry of the clips popping off.  The plastic clips worked great with the original masonite backing because those backings were more forgiving.  I may try the plastic clips first and if they don't work, I'll see what I can do with screws.  

Edited by doslucero

it is the best solution

It makes it easy to assemble a car in a factory setting in a hurry.  They've done it that way ever since.  And it sucks for everyone later-

especially if you have something like a 318ti, where they bonded the pedestals to the panels with glue that wasn't as strong as the fasteners.

The 2000 had its panels screwed in place- but they were designed for that.  I ran some screws through the panels in the 69 2002 I had-

the panels were ragged, the doors were in average shape, and they never came loose after that.

That said, I think Dang's onto something- there are a thousand versions available, many of better design than BMW's, so an afternoon

spend digging around for fasteners will probably find you something that will work well.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I used to do custom vans and cars and it wasn't uncommon to use the type of screw pictured above to fasten panels. A couple of things to watch; make sure there is sheet metal behind where you are screwing and make sure there is nothing the screw is going to hit that will stop it from going in or ruin something it's going into, this may seem like common sense but trust me it happens. Lay out the places you are going to screw on the door and panel, they are pretty much self tapping into sheet metal with a rechargeable drill. If you are not concerned with originality screws can look just fine. Black screws on black cards would not stand out that much or look out of place. Using original clips can be a pain as they tend to show through if not done correctly and don't work well if the door cards are thicker than original.

Edit: I see the bottoms of your doors are tan, you can get bronze colored screws as well as black and chrome

Edited by solo 2