• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bump Automatic Trunk Opener kit for 2002 Last Chance BLACK FRIDAY SALE

calw

Thanks to all who made purchases of automatic trunk openers!  All that have been paid for were shipped on the next day as promised, most of which have already arrived. 

Black Friday's over.  Cyber Monday is history.  Nonetheless, I'll honor the sale for payments that arrive by the end of this Sunday, 12/4. 
                        Along with any already-promised payments (you know who you are...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been selling these for some time now, most recently on Ebay.  It's still there for $79.99.
Now, for a limited time,  I'll sell them directly to the FAQ for $65.00 including shipping.  Send me a PM if interested.

BMW 2002 Automatic Trunk Opener
A Kit designed specifically for your vintage BMW 2002 or 1600-2

Your BMW 2002 or 1600-2 came from the factory with two different keys- one for the trunk lid and one for everything else. So, many of us just leave the trunk unlocked. Not the best idea if you ever plan on carrying valuables like that original 2002 tool kit in the trunk!  Here's a solution to that problem. Install this kit and you can electrically open the trunk, either with a push button switch or an aftermarket remote control.

* NO modification to your car to install the kit - it's completely reversible
* Compatible with Roundie or Square Tail Light Cars, all years
* Compatible with all '02 models 1600-2 thru Turbo, except for Touring (hatchback) models
* Easy installation with simple tools that you probably already have
* Easily removable in case you want to revert to a stock car
* Use BMW OEM trunk actuator unit
* Emergency Escape pull tab- never get locked in your own trunk!

This kit, the version 2 update to the original model has all the features of the original version plus:
* Powder Coated Frame
* LED Trunk Light and Trunk-Open sensor switch
* Mounting hole for relay + miniature toggle switch (relay and switch not included)

Powder Coated Frame:
The CNC metal frame, is now powder coated in a gray color that is a close match to the grey vinyl of your 2002's trunk floor.

LED Trunk Light:
Hidden inside the unit, the bright white LED Trunk Light is powered from your car's 12 V DC power if you get this option. It uses 24 surface-mount LED's and draws about 0.2 amps.

Trunk-Open Sensor Switch:
This switch will trigger your aftermarket alarm system if the trunk is forced open, or it can be used to turn on the LED Trunk Light whenever the trunk is open.

Relay and Function Switch Mounting holes:
Version 2 is designed with mounting holes for a DIN relay with tab, and a miniature toggle switch. This adds flexibility. You could, for example, manually turn on the LED light or control the opener with a relay.

The kit includes all of the parts to install and wire pigtails to connect to your electrical system. The instructions included with the kit explain you how to actuate the opener and turn on the light, along with detailed mechanical installation instructions. It's up to the buyer to decide how to attach it to your car's electrical system. This kit does not affect the adjustment of your trunk latch. If it's working properly before you install the opener, it will work properly after you install the opener.

Emergency Escape Tab:
Also included is a glow-in-the-dark emergency escape tab, which you can optionally install by drilling one tiny hole in your trunk latch. Don't worry about being locked in the trunk of your 2002. This is a required feature in all USA cars since the year 2002, why not have one in your 2002 ?

Installation:

Detailed installation instructions are included with your kit, but here are the basics: You can install the mechanical parts in about 10 minutes, not including the cleaning of your original latch. You add the kit to your existing latch mechanism without affecting it's normal operation. You will need a 10mm wrench or socket, a T-15 Torx driver, and needle nose pliers to install the basic mechanism. You will also need a power drill with small drill bit to install the emergency escape handle if you choose to do so. Wiring the unit to your car will require the usual electrical tools. It is strongly recommended that you clean, inspect, and lubricate your car's latch mechanism to ensure it has a smooth working action. If your latch mechanism is in bad shape with rust or other damage, you might need to get a new one. Once you do the mechanical installation of this kit, it remains to make electrical connections through a switch or other source of your car's power. The electrical parts are not included with the kit. Until you get around to the electrical connections, your trunk will operate as normal- there is no need to complete the electrical wiring until you have time later...

opener with light for brochure.JPG

trunk open with stuff inside.JPG

2 opener.JPG

biz card jpg3.jpg

Edited by calw

I just installed one of these kits in my car a week ago (after ordering it over a year ago). Installation was straightforward and is probably the cleanest way you could possibly add trunk pop functionality to your car. Somewhat ingenious.

I haven't gotten to the wiring yet because that will be part of a bigger project. I emailed Cal a few questions and he responded within hours and in an extremely detailed way. I highly recommend ordering this if you have been contemplating it. I just ordered this trunk pop switch from a Mercedes that I will work into my center console somehow and also wire it up to a keyless entry system. If you are on the fence, just order it. Especially at this price. 

trunkbutton.jpg

11 hours ago, Driv3r said:

Why do we need to buy one? Just curious

Because it is more useful than a shiny new steering wheel when you have one already!

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

46 minutes ago, laundromatt said:

What's involved in the electrical wiring part of the install?  Are people installing a new switch up front somewhere?

Right now I am just planning on wiring a constant +12v with a 5A fuse to one side of the actuator, and the other side will be wired to both a momentary switch which will provide ground when pressed AND wire the trunk output (negative trigger) of a cheap keyless entry system into the same ground circuit so that either the button or the keyless entry remote will pop the trunk. I may add a relay to the set up so that the actuator gets constant ground and then the ground trigger from the button/remote triggers the +12V into the actuator. Either way it should be a pretty basic circuit.

The most basic scheme- A pushbutton switch that will handle about 3 amps is wired between either lead of the actuator and - or + , with the other lead of the actuator going to the appropriate other + or -. Press the button, boing goes the trunk lid.  Use a pushbutton rather than a toggle switch, as power should only be applied momentarily to the actuator.    

pklym's description above makes perfect sense if you're planning for a remote keyless setup later.  Also to consider is how to wire up the LED light, but that's simple also. 

I will not help with the specific details of your car's existing wiring because there are small differences over the years and most cars have been modified in the past.  I also have almost no knowledge of the many details of the many different keyless entry systems out there and can't help with specifics there.  I will, however, be happy to discuss the simple electrical needs of the kit with any buyer.  Everyone who's purchased in the past has gotten thru with success.