• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Downgrading to earlier heater valve

Driv3r

Purchased an earlier version heater valve which will be refurbished. My heater valve bracket is broken so I am going to fabricate one. I believe the older heater valve has narrower in/outlets. But are there any other adjustments that needs to be done or is this a straight swap? Thanks

Should be a straight swap, as I recall the newer valve never fully closes so that a tiny trickle of coolant can flow through all the time and prevent the hoses from rotting and filling with rust and gunk.  If you run your heater every once in a while with the old style valve it will accomplish the same.

74 Golf

The early valves I have and have seen are brass on brass- the later, larger style are not, and run less of a risk of sticking (and are easier to fix when they do)

If you have a large inlet heater core, you may have to make the hose that goes from the valve to the core, as BMW changed that hose size when they

changed the nipple size, and (as far as I've seen, anyway, double check realoem) there are no large-to-small and small-to-large hoses for that short

little stub. 

Not hard, just a bit tricky.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

My 69 2002 uses the (original) early heater valve, early heater core, early outlet fitting on the back of the 72tii cylinder head and larger return pipe.

To do this you need a reducer between the return pipe and heater core.  IIRC, the seals for the early heater core/heater box top cover are NLA.

3F5AB9E1-E490-4457-AE37-12BE443DFAD9_zps

14478B85-A1CF-42C9-BF3E-25677BFAE16A_zps

343C6C84-8E8B-42DD-B774-CFA9E4A53A33_zps

D1E02EBF-80F5-4BB2-9C6D-A9E76B1C204C_zps

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"