• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CoastalCrush

Was told that H&B built the red car to the same specs as the cover story car, minus the cosmetics. 1 of 3 cars built to this spec by H&B (as told to me by Ron, the previous owner). He wanted it a sleeper...

Reading the description of the driving behavior and I'd have to say it's accurate.

That cover story car is bad @ss, always loved it and wondered where it wound up. I was also told one of the cars was wrecked..

Jason

IMG_4131.JPG

IMG_4133.JPG

Edited by JsnPpp
  • Like 2

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

No idea of the story is true, but I had heard that the owner of that car had been involved in a SF Muni (for those outside the Bay Area (Municipal Transit - buses, trolley's, trains) accident and settled a law suite for a tidy sum of money.  A pile of it (money that is) transferred over to Hardy & Beck and culminated in that car.  I had heard it ended up on a farm/ranch in Santa Rosa, minus many of the parts and was more  or less beat to 's'.  Present day, who knows.  I am sure Alan Hardy has the records of who it was built for initially but after that likely not.  I spent a good amount of time hanging around that place (picking up turn up parts for my '69 2002) in late 70's early 80's.  It was quite a site, M1's, E-21 323i's (completely H&B'd), 320 Alpina etc., etc.,  It was an impressive operation then as it was in the heyday of BMW tuning (one could argue.....).  You have an awesome car, I'm a fan.

• Like 1

Wouldn't be surprised, feels like a true story. Many of these cars were not garage queens back in the day - they were driven, often.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there is more than one Santa Rosa field with an H&B logo'd vehicle growing weeds... 

Fun to think about!

Jason

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

16 minutes ago, JsnPpp said:

Wouldn't be surprised, feels like a true story. Many of these cars were not garage queens back in the day - they were driven, often.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there is more than one Santa Rosa field with an H&B logo'd vehicle growing weeds... 

Fun to think about!

Jason

I wish! I’ve beem trying to track down a Hardy&beck m10 valve cover since I bought my first 02 10+ years ago! Someday one will turn up! 

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329

Patience! So much better when you finally get it. As Michael Dubois exclaimed when he held up the Alpina A4 airbox cover for the first time:

"The Holy Grail!!"

Good times.

• Like 1

Somewhat off topic but it really must have been expensive (even back then) to prototype those parts, cast them, finish them etc., quite an undertaking.  Probably still using the same molds for the wheel centers...wheels then were $425 each (and let me tell you I wanted a set of those baaaaaaaaad, not on my budget though).  $750ea (+) now so not inexpensive by an stretch (and nearly 40 years later).

I am sure you have, but have you ever gone over to H&B and talked to Alan or (George...assuming he is still there)?  Who knows maybe they can help you out somehow.  Short story, many years ago (late 90's I called them up and asked if they had any 4 cylinder Alpina parts 'left over' = answer was that they had a set up mahle hemi pistons (didn't buy them as I had a set) and an A4/3 Alpina air box.  I could have the air box for $500, I bought it mainly for the lid which was cast aluminum....wish I had it back.  If I ever hear of one you will be the first to know.  Good luck.

• Alpina
16 minutes ago, markmac said:

$750ea (+) now

@markmac I was told they don’t have any wheels left and were done making them. That they had some centers with imperfections but they wouldn’t sell those as well due to liability reasons! 

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.instagram.com/mojojoy

1968 BMW 2002 (Bristol/Granada)

1969 BMW 2000 NK (Florida)

1971 BMW 2000tii Touring Malaga (Restoring)

I was going to also post regarding the valve cover - "did you try calling H&B?".

Love those wheels, they are in the top five for me (with Alpina steelies being #1, but the Alpina 3 piece being #2, etc.) I would absolutely put a set on the red car if I had the $ falling out of my pocket... 

Mark I think your AlPinA race car has those 3 piece centers, correct?

~Jason

10 minutes ago, JsnPpp said:

I was going to also post regarding the valve cover - "did you try calling H&B?".

Love those wheels, they are in the top five for me (with Alpina steelies being #1, but the Alpina 3 piece being #2, etc.) I would absolutely put a set on the red car if I had the $ falling out of my pocket... 

~Jason

Yep, I’ve tried calling multiple times, no luck. 

FE31D098-FABC-4983-8E82-9796EE8AE2A8.jpeg

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329

11 minutes ago, JsnPpp said:

But the Borrani steelies on your car look absolutely perfect on a sleeper ‘02!

Don’t change a thing, even if you hit the lottery!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks Steve!  I also like the "non-bling look" (but boy are the H&B rims nice.) and am glad that the car is a sleeper (usually). While I wouldn't change it for the world, considering all the engine, transmission, suspension and brakes in it, I wouldn't be surprised if a next owner adds a bit more "pieces of flare". Hope not though.

The red car rims are 13x5s too, talk about skinny... no wider than stock Tiis!

@Coastalcrush408 - nice wheels... ?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, JsnPpp said:

~Jason

I’d agree with the alpina 3piece, borrani’s, Bbs e30 and id add these as well. Compomotive TF 300, these are going on my next build! 

EF4965A1-1BCB-4E0F-AC6B-3F8C6D4A673B.jpeg

EEB710EC-4FB7-45AB-AC25-F3C026A52CC3.png

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329

1 hour ago, JsnPpp said:

~Jason

I do.  Alpina made the 15" centers in aluminum and magnesium.  The set I have are magnesium and finished with a 'Dow 7' conversion coating which is a gold/gray color.  I may end up shooting them with BBS Gold, haven't decided.  Unlike the H&B wheels that have drop center rim halves, they have flat base rim halves (which means you have to assemble the wheel around the tire = giant pain in the ass....but looks super cool (and is the way it was back in the day, practical no for a street car where a flat tire is more common place).

Its interesting the different iterations of the H&B Wheel centers (at least three I have seen).  The 6x15's were the bomb back in the day (and still today in my opinion) especially when mated up with Pirelli P7's which were state-of-the-art back then.  Jason's car looks perfect with the steelies I think (though a set of the H&B's sure would be nice for a change of pace from time to time....)?

AlpinA 2.0.jpg

37189522_2618059181552923_1508222828787269632_n.jpg

• Like 1