• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom motor mounts

Ian

I need to make some custom motor mounts for my M2, and because of packaging constraints would like to put the new mounts on the frame rail instead of the subframe.  If I reinforce the frame rail with some plate, is there any reason not to put the new mounts on top of the frame rail with a more horizontal arm to the motor mount than the usual downward-angled arm to the subframe?  In this case the mounts themselves will be 3" diameter cylinders from Vibra-Technics designed for the S14 motor.   

Edited by Ian

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

I can't answer your question but I feel I have to ask. Why don't the usual S14 mounting methods work for you? This swap has been done many times. What are you looking to get out of it that hasn't been found many times before?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I too am curious.  Rolls Merlin engine?  Wasp???

What you'll find is that the strength in the shell is in the inner fender structure, from the strut back.

So if you attach to the bottom of the inner fender where it's boxed, make sure you distribute the load into

the inner fender.  That box is designed to take the load from the subframe and do exactly that, but

it's meant to catch the load from its bottom, and the subframe distributes  it a bit.  So if you do roughly

that, you should be OK.  Be careful of distortion, while you're at it.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I used the standard mounts for the S14 when I first did this swap back in '94, and it did indeed work fine.  However, a couple of years ago I bought a VAC S14/2002 oilpan that does not quite clear my 2002 subframe and hits the passenger side motor mount.  I know I should send the pan back, but it is functional and looks so damn cool.  Plus, I've had it on the shelf long enough that I can't send it back.  I think the answer is to just move the motor mounts, and being a bit more outboard might help stop some engine rock at the same time.

Edited by Ian

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Done that. My motor mounts resembles oem dimensions - about. Reinforced framerails. Ended up welding additional tube underneath bracket line from farmerail to framerail and welded additional upward reinfocements to brackets from there. It kinda flexed a bit without tube & supports so i didn't feel like risking anything.

100_2685.JPG

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

It sounds to me like it would be much easier to modify the oil pan to fit.  If you have the skills to relocate the engine mount to the frame rail I would think modifying the pan would be way easier.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC