• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FRONT SEATS - WITH or WITHOUT HEADRESTS

vinntagejoe

So, my driver seat took a dump on me after the 2016 opening ride "in the OC".  needless to say, I'm in the market for a new or replacement set of seats. My ride currently has a set of PROCAR rallye seat from the 80's, vintage yes but no so period correct. So, I'm looking for a nice aftermarket solution other than RECARNO's or trying to score a set of originals to re-upholster.

BUT the real Q is, how many of you all run your seats WITHOUT headrests? I like the look but haven't seen many.  PHOTOS would be great. Thanks.

j

1975 - modified - the "silver back"

@https://twitter.com/jangelurbano

48 minutes ago, vinntagejoe said:

...I like the look but haven't seen many...

Seats without headrests are rare in the U.S. because headrests were mandated from January 1, 1969 onward.  Of course, if you're re-doing a set of seats, headrests could disappear...

Below, from May 1968 and un-dated (but likely later 1968) 1600-2002 brochures.

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

37 minutes ago, 72pdx02 said:

I like the look of no headrest especially on vintage VW’s, but I agree with Toby here.

Safety is more important.

I hear you all about the "SAFETY" part, my wife says the same thing; well since she's funding this project I guess I'm going with headrest.  Now I need to score a set of original seats soon. Thanks all.

j

1975 - modified - the "silver back"

@https://twitter.com/jangelurbano

I really like the early headrests.  They were massive back in the day.  Helped set BMW apart from NA cars with their minimalistic headrest designs.

Besides, I think they are the law.  Right?  Aren't ALL cars that were sold with headrests required to use headrests?  Could insurance be voided if the vehicle is not properly equipped?

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

On April 30, 2016 at 8:49 PM, PaulTWinterton said:

...Besides, I think they are the law.  Right?  Aren't ALL cars that were sold with headrests required to use headrests?  ...

Maybe, Paul, but who will uphold the law?  I just moved back to the Northeast, where I had spent my first 50 years.  If I pulled out my headrests -- on any of my cars -- it would be interesting to see if the car failed its annual state inspection.  But in a no-inspection state such as Georgia, from which we just moved, I regularly saw cars without fenders, bumpers, even doors.  Do you think some cop is going to pull over a car for lacking headrests?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

13 hours ago, Conserv said:

Do you think some cop is going to pull over a car for lacking headrests?

Not likely, I agree.  I could see it coming up in a whiplash claim though.

"Vehicle was not equipped with the correct safety equipment, your Honor."

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958