• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Touring '74 from Belgium, full restoration project (Lots of pictures)

D.martijn

2 hours ago, D.martijn said:

Mine are number 2, Looks like there isn't really a reference for which horn they used when/on what cars.. :P

The spare horn sets that I have are part nos 61 33 1 361 359 & 360. They are noted in the parts book as special equipment (sonderausstatung).

If I had realised they were special, I may have fitted them instead of the Lucas ones.....hehe.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Got my front calipers back together yesterday night. I first sandblasted the inside of the old pistons and spray painted them with heat resistant paint.

Afterwards I let the paint cure in the oven. Same thing with the calipers halves since I clear coated these after the cad plating.

New parts laid out, rebuild kit is from Walloth Nesch

IMG_20170425_210141_zpscvgkgxq4.jpg

And back together!

IMG_20170426_103724_zpspnb5erjd.jpg

IMG_20170426_103705_zpsg5gvyf4i.jpg

Very happy with the outcome, definitely a good choose to get these cad plated as well :) 

Got my pedal box back together, fun little project.

After making sure I had all of the new bushes, bolts, and parts, I took it all home and got started with assembling.

Still need to torque everything down and bolt the master cylinder against the box as I forgot to take those bolts with me.

IMG_20170503_211423_zpslkqqynj9.jpg

Close up of the pedal box

IMG_20170503_211242_zpsnikcm6xg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I picked up the engine, cylinder head, flywheel and some other engine parts from out local machinist.

He pressure tested the cylinder head, resurfaced it together with the chain cover and gave it a clean.The engine got first measured up, which told us that one piston had worn down the cylinder over the first oversize.He bored the engine to the 2nd oversize after I found some new Mahle pistons, gave it a hone + new freeze plugs and wash. The engine didn't have to be resurfaced as it was still good. The flywheel also got ground down so we have a nice flat surface for the new clutch disc. I still need to get new bearings for the crankshaft and connecting rods before I can start putting it back together. I'll go with Kolbenschmidt bearings as I can't seem to find the Glyco's. For now I put some more oil on the freshly cleaned and machined surfaces so they won't rust.

IMG_20170511_184846_zpsqwicptpa.jpg

IMG_20170511_184859_zpspl6mbkg6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

After being finally done with welding on the E30, I got started with blasting the in and outtakes of the cylinder head.

Pressing rubber tubes into the valve guide made sure these wouldn't get damaged. I also tape the whole head in duct tape to protect it from glass beads entering the oil/coolant passages. I will still clean the head with some water to be 100% sure there aren't any beads left inside.

IMG_20170530_154618_zpsjl3s0uiz.jpg

IMG_20170530_152556_zpsr8upz31f.jpg

Man! I just read your blog from start until today (I was going to say "finish").:D  Don't know how I missed it before.

What an incredible job you've done until now.  You have taken on some serious cutting and welding; more than just about any I've seen, up there with ClassDavid, Heinemann, and localhuman!  Not too many people could resurrect a car in that state.

Thanks for the many photos and step-by-step account of your progress.  This is going to be a jewel when you are "finished"!

Keep on keepin' on!

Tom

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)

Hello Tom,

Thank you for taking the time to read through all of my blog :)

I appreciate the very kind words about the work I've done so far to the car. I haven't done much over the last 2 months as I've been busy fixing (and also welding) on my BMW E30 (325ix touring). I hope I can start to pick up the welding again where I've left if very soon.

And yes, can't wait to get it finished, hopefully it won't take several years lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't done as much to the Touring but today I finished cleaning up the valve cover. I also sandblasted the corrosion on top and then glass beaded the cover so there it had a nice smooth finish. I then protected it with some clear varnish.

IMG_20170608_173153%201_zpsstbhjsgk.jpg

IMG_20170616_182654_zpss6cucllx.jpg

Turned out great!

IMG_20170616_182700_zps1i5ipo9t.jpg

Being that the blasting cabinet was now full of glass beads instead of glass grit I decided to blast the rubber bushings for the rear and front springs as they were quite dirty and had some rust particles on them.
This gave it a nice finish. I might treat them with some kind of product so the pores will be sealed.

IMG_20170616_182200_zpsvhs3jfkg.jpg

Also gave the newly purchased coil for the alternator a coat of primer. Still need to find some kind of red/orange paint like original.

IMG_20170616_170038_zpsqhxg12ht.jpg

Today I cleaned and refurbished the Bosch distributor for the 02.

I started with cleaning the outside and lightly go over it with some scotchbrite. I also cleaned the inner mechanism as it was quite dirty/greasy.

When we plated the nuts and bolts, I took the hardware from a one of the spare distributors that was already missing a few pieces to also get plated.

IMG_20170624_152558_zpswlpehw8k.jpg

I then installed the new breaker points and set the correct gap (0,4mm)

IMG_20170624_162235_zpsgvmq8ekl.jpg

I also tried getting the vacuum chamber plated but it did not turn out all that great so I decided to bead blast the one fitted on ours and paint it with some RAL 9006 aluminium color. Aso got the little clips blasted and painted black. I'm pleased with the result. :)

IMG_20170624_162320_zpsxjgzlx2j.jpg

Next week we are going to paint most the parts for the touring in 2k satin black paint that are now currently sitting in primer after we got these sandblasted previously. We'll be making a small paint booth with some steel tubing.

Since the differential is still assembled, we started on disassembling it. With the help of some brackets and a long breaker bar we were able to brake the big nut on the input shaft loose.

Also the 2 bolts on the output shafts got removed.

Everything disassembled and also removed the old seals.

IMG_20170625_123230_zpseypv4oe0.jpg

Teeth on the ring gear, little spiders and input shaft still look great. I don't think we'll replace the bearings as these also look good.

IMG_20170625_123300_zpsdjws0gue.jpg

Next thing is to get the hardware plated with a kit to do it yourself. And also cleaning up the housing and bearing housings with the sandblaster and some wirewheels.

Then on to painting!

Today I got the rear diff cover cleaned up and coated in clear. I did paint the little metal vent tube in silver to protect is some more.

IMG_20170626_175010_zpsymx8yvlv.jpg

After degreasing the inside of the diff so there wasn't any oil left I wire wheeled the outside so remove some of the small rust spots.

I then taped it all up and gave the bare metal spots a coat of primer. The housing is now ready to be painted black. I still need to blast the bearing housings and input flange but ran out of primer.

IMG_20170626_174815_zpsqwvoigr9.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

As I know that most of my pictures aren't working because of Photobucket (still planning on re editing every post)
I decided to already update my build post with some new pictures.

I got the alternator stator sandbasted, primed and painted red. I also received my new rotor. The guy from my local electro workshop told me it was the last one that was available from their warehouse. I got lucky and got the last one :)
35729490731_b5b56cd442_z.jpg
35729489991_4344a2dd62_z.jpg
35021420764_6ec52a8d2e_z.jpg

Last week I got the epoxy primed parts fully sanded smooth and primers the bare metal spots again. Fully ready to get painted with2k black satin paint.
35729490241_95d4bd306b_z.jpg
35052027463_a4f9576d61_z.jpg