• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Touring '74 from Belgium, full restoration project (Lots of pictures)

D.martijn

Nice table! You have a really good looking workshop, spacious and in good order.

Edited by Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

• 2 weeks later...

After finishing the rear quarter panels. We decided to remove the rear differential cross member after finding out there was quite a bit of rust still hiding inside.

old picture showing rust on the cross member is self and boot floor section. Although definitely no severe, why not take it out since we have gone this far with replacing panels :)

spacer.pngµ

I already ordered the replacement panel from Restoration Design from their warehouse in the Netherlands.

When I bought the panel, I noticed the Touring and Sedan have different part numbers, I send them an email asking if the panel would still fit the Touring, and they assured me it would. I didn't bother to check further and ordered it.

However when I now look closer and compare the pictures on their website with our Touring. It is in fact different.. 

In the end we decided to go further with the removal of the panel and see where we end up. I did measure the profile of the panel if we do need to remake it. There is a company wo lasercuts and bends not far away from my home, I might go by and ask if they can bent this panel for me, since it's quite thick and I don't think our sheet metal brake will handle it.

Again levelling the car since we moved it over a little because of the welding/fixture table I purchased.

spacer.png

Couple reference pictures

spacer.png

spacer.png

Rear exhaust hanger

spacer.png

spacer.png

Panel completely removed, using the small die grinder with a cut off wheel to grind down the spot welds.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some of the rust cleaned up, not too bad. I treated it with Rustyco to remove it completely

spacer.png

Both corners got treated as well as a couple of spots on the middle

spacer.png

After two treatments, I'll try to mechanically remove some of the rust in the corner and then apply Rustyco again.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also remove the tow hook and treated the rust pitting with Rustyco

Was this hook just for shipping? cant imagine pulling a car with this though..

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've pretty much finalized the CAD work for the new rear crossmember for the Touring.

If everything works out (regarding price) I should be able to reproduce this panel for other people as well

Although not a very common repair, I'm sure it will at least help a few people.

spacer.png

After doing some more research regarding the rear cross member distances (according to the BMW chassis diagram) and getting some measurements from other 2002's I'm pretty close on know where to weld those mounting brackets. 

In the end I also decided to measure the subframe assembly with the diff and rear hanger on the welding table.

There is of course tons of room front to back to adjust the placement of the diff. Side to side needs to be pretty spot on though.

spacer.png

I've also made a rather crude die to press the ribs, although I do plan to polish it a little bit more.

should be able to use this to press both mounting brackets for the Touring (long and short version)

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's been a little death over here.

Things slowed down quite a bit since the purchase of a house with my girlfriend (no worries there is a old workshop on the property so in the future, the touring will be very close at hand!) Hopefully things progress a bit faster then.

In the meantime I received the test panel from the lasercutting/bending service.

Very pleased with the quality of the panel, it's cut and bended very nice and crisp.

Only thing left is to punch the reinforcement ribs into the mounting tabs.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was a little worried about these small mounting tabs for the touring as they are quite short in height.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Since it's a long holiday weekend over here in Belgium, I was able to make a new die to form the differential brackets. I must say, I'm very proud on how well the plates turned out. the reinforcement ribs are very crisp.

Using the smaller 5 axis mill at work, I milled two forming plates that locate the plates and form them.

It's been over two years since I used the machine as I have not much time to also mill at work. 

In the end I was able to remember most of the stuff luckily

spacer.png

Shared bracket for sedan and touring

spacer.png

spacer.png

Touring specific bracket

spacer.png

spacer.png

And a little comparison between new and old

spacer.png

Edited by D.martijn
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Again a small update, not a lot of time to work on the 2002 since the renovation of our home..

After one last check and measurement of the subframe with the differential to determine the offset of the rear differential hanger (the diagram from BMW is NOT correct) I also checked and took measurements on a local 2002 sedan from a family friend. I corrected the 3D file for the panels and refined some small features like the oval holes in the center of the two brackets, smalls stuff like that. And send out the files to get them made.

spacer.png

We finally received the cut and bend panels from our supplier.

Very happy with the outcome on both touring and sedan panels. These are made in the correct sheet metal thickness (1,5mm) unlike some other supplier.. The panel also fits tightly between our two rear wheel wells.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the meantime I went ahead and made a fixture for the fixturing/welding table, this makes it possible to secure each panel precisely and quickly so that the brackets for the differential can get spotwelded to it.
spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2