• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 BMW 1600-2 in Kennewick, WA

Mark92131

I saw this ad and thought I would pass it along.  A 1967 BMW 1600 in Caribe over Grey Interior.  Wow a project for sure, but the grills, dash and steering wheel would probably cover the asking price.  Lots of spare parts.

NM/NA,

Mark92131

http://kpr.craigslist.org/ctd/5452824594.html

Also on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-1600-2-1600-2-/291687555232?forcerrptr=true&hash=item43e9eee0a0:g:QfgAAOSwPc9WxSGw&item=291687555232

post-33686-0-63429300-1455821950_thumb.j

Edited by Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Wow!

VIN 1523469 was manufactured during the 1967 calendar year, according to the BMW 2002 Club of Columbia's VIN decoder:

http://www.bmwclasicos.com/vin.php

But it's probably between February and May 1967 according to my cheat sheet. 6-volt? Terrible below 20 degrees, in my experience. But cool today, in my opinion. And Caribe with gray interior? Whoa! Here's what it will look like after you've spent a lot of time and/or money:

http://s160.photobucket.com/user/02Anders/media/BMW%20VIN%20150XXXX/IMG_0137-2_zpsdzuqr09c.jpg.html

Holy crap. That's beautiful. Lots of original '67 parts still present. Many of the "spares" are for post-'67 models. Sell them and restore the original components with the proceeds! But why does it have a bona fide Euro rear bumper center section, with cut-outs for license plate lights? Even if a non-Hoffman Motors car, it should have gotten U.S.-legal license plate lights before it obtained U.S. registration. Or did the clown, I mean owner, who installed the front spoiler pull off the U.S. license plate lights along with the rear fascia trim and swap on the Euro bumper? This is, it must be noted, a "molested" example.

Please go buy it and restore it. And, remember, this is NOT an "M2 shell." It's a very early example in a very rare and desirable color combination.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Dag nabbit! I am going to Kennewick tomorrow and have been searching for 02's on craigslist in that area all week. I didn't put in 1600 though, so this didn't pop up. I will give it a looksy. If anyone has any advice of what to look for specifically on the early 1600-02's I would appreciate it, i'll certainly be checking the typical rust areas.

Looking at pictures, almost no glass? 98% complete? haha it looks like it does have much of the parts in there but you can't be 98% complete without any glass. (I see now that it looks like it has rear glass in the backseat). The taillight also indicates the "no rust" is slightly optimistic. I'm still excited to check it out.

Looking at pictures, almost no glass? 98% complete? haha it looks like it does have much of the parts in there but you can't be 98% complete without any glass. (I see now that it looks like it has rear glass in the backseat). The taillight also indicates the "no rust" is slightly optimistic. I'm still excited to check it out.

A 1600-2 has all the same rust spots as a 2002! I'd be more focused on the engine number than original glass: it's easier to come up with virtually identical glass than it is to come up with a missing original block!

It's got correct grilles (including rare 10-slat center grille), correct and rare embossed front hood trim (King of Trim in San Diego can fix it), the distinctive '67 steering wheel, "chrome" instrument cluster bezel (but why does this 1600-2 have a tach rather than a clock?), correct outside rearview mirror in correct location, 4 "possibly-original" steel rims (including the spare), etc. Long-neck diff? If that gearshift knob is original to this car, 1.) I'd absolutely use it, as it really tells the car's history; and 2.) don't even dream that the car's actual mileage is less than 200K miles (that's some serious wear on that knob)!

In the meantime, do your homework, read Ander's excellent The '66 Bible:

http://02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8603

Good luck and best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Note: looking at the photos again I noticed the valve cover is ribbed. I believe U.S. '67-model 1.6-liter valve covers are generally (always?) un-ribbed. It could be as simple as a swapped valve cover, but it could also be symptomatic of a swapped -- non-original -- engine. That wonderful, round metal winter-summer box, on the radiator support snorkel, however, is certainly original, but I can't see a "football-style" windshield washer reservoir on the inner fender or in the boxes of parts.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Here's what the beautiful Norwegian Caribe '66 looked like before its restoration:

http://s160.photobucket.com/user/02Anders/media/BMW%20VIN%20150XXXX/IMG_0015_zps30b7f2c8.jpg.html

Regards,

Steve

Note: looking at the photos again I noticed the valve cover is ribbed. I believe '67 1.6-liter valve covers are generally (always?) un-ribbed. It could be as simple as a swapped valve cover, but it could also be symptomatic of a swapped -- non-original -- engine. That wonderful, round metal winter-summer box, on the radiator support snorkel, however, is certainly original, but I can't see a "football-style" windshield washer reservoir on the inner fender or in the boxes of parts.

Regards,

Steve

The '66 bible seems to indicate some uncertainty regarding that, some choice quotes:

Ah, that valve cover ... believe it or not, these things do bug me, enough even to undo the 7 nuts and look for a casting date. And lo and behold - it has one!

Be it on record that the striped valve cover is original to the car, with a casting date of March 1967 ...

That's very interesting Cris!

First of all, I thought all '67s had the smooth valve cover but clearly not. Secondly I thought BMW didn't start date stamping their valve covers until the early 70's. So I just learned two new things - thx...! icon_e_wink.gif 

Btw. I have confirmed from BMW Classic that the CKD cars started being assembled in Belgium in October '66.

The '66 bible seems to indicate some uncertainty regarding that, some choice quotes:

Ah, that [/size]valve[/size] cover ... believe it or not, these things do bug me, enough even to undo the 7 nuts and look for a casting date. And lo and behold - it has one![/size]Be it on record that the striped [/size]valve[/size] cover is [/size]original to the car[/size], with a casting date of March 1967 ...[/size]

That's very interesting Cris![/size]First of all, I thought all '67s had the smooth [/size]valve[/size] cover but clearly not. Secondly I thought BMW didn't start date stamping their [/size]valve[/size] covers until the early 70's. So I just learned two new things - thx...! [/size]icon_e_wink.gif [/size]Btw. I have confirmed from BMW Classic that the CKD cars started being assembled in Belgium in October '66.[/size]

So keep your fingers crossed that this is another exception to the "generally" rule!

Good luck,

Steve

Super rare color and this car deserves to be restored to original! There are a lot of original parts there that show it hasn't been overly molested, some weird things pointed out previously, but overall a GREAT original survivor 

Good luck with your purchase! You could end up with this!

post-32975-0-65017000-1455907472_thumb.j