• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW PROJECT - 1973 Malaga tii - YONCÉ

danco_

Ryan- in the picture showing the clutch master cylinder, there appears to be a wire that is not connected to its matching plug. Wonder what that is for? It's your car and you can do whatever you want but I would try to preserve the factory bits of the USA built tii.

Interesting bolt on, then welded tranny mounts; small guibo with all bolts in same direction; limited slip diff ; rebuilt calipers (looks exactly like mine); nice condition suspension; etc. You got a good one!

Not sure if it would be easier to source a matching set of seat hinges and have the seats redone. The tobacco brown interior vinyl will be difficult to locate. The MB Tex is a close match.

I'll peak at the wire tomorrow and take better photos. I too wonder what it is for. I like the idea of saving the US-bits, but I do prefer the simple styling of a euro car. Maybe that's why I like the Florida car so much - no US DOT to clutter it up. 

Small guibo with same-direction bolts confused me as well. Not sure why that is how it is, but I'll likely replace it exactly how it's currently configured, minus the bolt orientation. Everything else was a pleasant surprise, including the LSD. That was a really nice surprise. Someone really cared for this car at one point. 

The interior looks to be Saddle and not Tobacco. I haven't researched, but I'm guessing Saddle is a tough color to locate in vinyl. I already have  complete set of black hinges, so we're good there.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Wheels are a toughy, as that's what really helps put a personal stamp on a car. I've always had a soft spot for the bottlecaps-perhaps because that's what everyone seemed to run on '02's in the late '80's when I was in HS (yes, I'm an old man now...). Incidentally, my '73 sports some too!

BBS RS's are ultra-trendy right now (although they do look killer IMHO), Alpina rep's look good as well. If you want to go smaller (as in your Opal Green '73), have you considered Cromodoras or Campagnolos? I've always digged both, they would be period correct and you don't see them that often over here.

As for the interior, I believe that Saddle replaced Tobacco in what, '70 or '71?

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

Wheels are a toughy, as that's what really helps put a personal stamp on a car. I've always had a soft spot for the bottlecaps-perhaps because that's what everyone seemed to run on '02's in the late '80's when I was in HS (yes, I'm an old man now...). Incidentally, my '73 sports some too!

BBS RS's are ultra-trendy right now (although they do look killer IMHO), Alpina rep's look good as well. If you want to go smaller (as in your Opal Green '73), have you considered Cromodoras or Campagnolos? I've always digged both, they would be period correct and you don't see them that often over here.

As for the interior, I believe that Saddle replaced Tobacco in what, '70 or '71?

Wheels are definitely tough, but I think a nice set of Borrani wheels might be the right call for this car, given it's other sporty upgrades. The original Borrani gray would look good with Malaga paint. I would consider nice 13x6" Alpina wheels/reps if the quality was good. 

I'm not sure when Saddle replaced Tobacco. I have a Green 1972 2002 that came with Tobacco, and I had them redone in a vinyl a shade or two darker than stock. Saddle definitely has more orange in it than Tobacco. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Your car looks to have the earlier driver's seat and the "correct" pass seat.

IF you want to do a slight color change, then I suggest you look at what my car was repainted.  It is 1994 Ford Ruby Red like what came on the Aerostar van (!).  I love the color and it is just a little brighter than Malaga.

02festeast11.jpg

Picture by the PO.  Looks darker here.

PICT0908.jpg

bmwpics2042.jpg

My car on the right - Roger Benson's Malaga 72 on the left.

Vintage2008Meet012.jpg

In my car on the way to Vintage 2008.  Larry Schwarz' true Malaga tii in front of me.

Vintage2008Meet010.jpg

Hmm - which car has the correct shade of Malaga?

59248fbe.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Your car looks to have the earlier driver's seat and the "correct" pass seat.

IF you want to do a slight color change, then I suggest you look at what my car was repainted.  It is 1994 Ford Ruby Red like what came on the Aerostar van (!).  I love the color and it is just a little brighter than Malaga.

Picture by the PO.  Looks darker here.

My car on the right - Roger Benson's Malaga 72 on the left.

Vintage2008Meet012.jpg

In my car on the way to Vintage 2008.  Larry Schwarz' true Malaga tii in front of me.

Hmm - which car has the correct shade of Malaga?

I really like stock Malaga (shocking because I had a different opinion 3 weeks ago), so I would like to bring it back to the factory color, which I believe it currently is, aside from it being repainted. 

Did the seat knob ever make it into your hands? 

I managed to get both license plate lights working, the entire stereo system blasting my favorite Michael Buble CD, and some more polishing done on the stainless steel rocker covers. 

Things I still want to look into:
-replace all seals, in the induction system, vacuum hoses, coolant hoses, etc.
-check strut bearings/steering box for binding  
-heater fan (not blowing but getting power)
-reverse lights not engaging
-washer bottle/motor 
-find a decent set of wheels
-paint job planning
-polishing up the aluminum trim if possible (oxidized)
-Driver's seat rehab
-new carpet kit

Not sure if I mentioned this, but I have a suspicion that this engine might have a mild cam, and the timing is likely off, since it struggles to shut off. I will replace a bunch of hoses in the engine bay and send it across the way to TP Motorsports for a nice tune up. This car is really getting me excited. The more I look at it, the more I like it. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Ryan- peek under the front seats to see if your car still has the seat pad interlock wiring. Also check the seat belt retractors for wiring (another interlock). Would be interesting to see if this car also has the shifter interlock wires grouped together with the reverse light wiring harness.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Ryan- peek under the front seats to see if your car still has the seat pad interlock wiring. Also check the seat belt retractors for wiring (another interlock). Would be interesting to see if this car also has the shifter interlock wires grouped together with the reverse light wiring harness.

I completely forgot to check today, but I'll likely check tomorrow. I was at the shop for about an hour today.

I'm gearing up to buy new seals (intake manifold mostly) and hoses for the motor, so I took a peak at this motor on the stand next to my tii. It shows a few hoses and how they attach to the kugelfischer pump. After looking at this motor, I understand why people like nice things. 

25046885861_66160fa823_b.jpg

25021899402_ac4960ee4d_b.jpg

24509470054_75dbb8ece1_b.jpg

Then I turned up an old Blink-182 Album and applied Meguiar's #7 polish to the top panels. No. 7 is chock-full of penetrating oils. I figure a few coats of this oil and I can start to break down the oxidized layer of paint. I'll never get it 100%, but I know i can get it back to mostly a single color and probably polish it up nicely too. I want to give it the same treatment like the blue car and run it like that until I'm ready to go to paint and bodywork. I know that will happen this year, but I'm in no rush. I just want to drive the thing. It drives great now, but I'd like to change a few things and get it all tuned up. 

But here is the car after the first coat was applied and wiped off. I let it sit for about 10 minutes before wiping it off. I'll do at least one coat them get all kinds of abrasive on the top layer. The bottom layers will clean up great.

24513299853_5551c6dcf3_b.jpg

I think this car will get a set of Borrani 13x6 & 13x5.5 staggered wheels. I'll play with the swaybar settings so I don't get understeer since that seems to be the case with staggered wheel set ups on 2002s. But I think Borrani's will play to the car's sporty stance nicely.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

That is A. NICE. ENGINE. And an awful nice werkstatt.

Looking forward to how the paint turns out, as I'll be doing the same with mine soon, hopefully.

Edited by 1936spyder

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

I'm wondering what kind of damage is happening to the paint. One would think that all the white oxidation is failing clear coat. But the paint looks single-stage. Now I'm second guessing myself. Is is a 2-stage paint job after all? Because that changes things as far as paint restoration goes. I know for sure that I'm not dealing with the original paint, since it was definitely resprayed in it's life. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Amazing how low the 2002 looks compared to the stock suspension of the Tii.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Amazing how low the 2002 looks compared to the stock suspension of the Tii.

surprisingly, the tii is already lowered about 2" front and rear. The green 2002 is on ground control coilovers. 

LIFE. IS. SO. HARD.

You're telling me? I can't even choose what car to drive most days. And Now I have an old 1974 Honda CB550k which is also fun to ride. 

Most days I can't handle the pressure so I'll surf instead. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards