danco_

NEW PROJECT - 1973 Malaga tii - YONCÉ

218 posts / 27635 viewsLast Reply

New Project: 1973 Malaga Red 2002 tii. Numbers matching car, original nose, original tail, very little rust (a few bubbles on hood and passenger fender), and super optioned.

I had the car towed home from San Diego this morning. It was a very easy process with AAA's premier roadside assistance package. The car was towed about 87 miles, which if you have this package, you know that each tow has a maximum distance limit of 100 miles, so this was near the distance limit. It was so nice to not pay.

I took a bunch of photos today before I dive in, and I'll post them below.

A brief history on the car: For many years, it belonged to a Superior Judge of San Diego. The car was known as "The Judge" under his ownership. He then gave the car to his son, who had it for a period of time, then sold it to an independent bmw shop owner. Under the shop owner's ownership, the engine was rebuilt, 5-speed added, LSD added, suspension tech springs, IE swaybars, a cool strut bar, H4 Headlights, and a bitchin sound system (which I'm pulling out). I'm sure it has more upgrades, but these were the ones I was able to confirm. After 5-7 years with the car, he sold it to a very nice woman who kept the car for 10 years. I purchased it from this very nice woman, and have agreed to bring the car back to her former glory. My story starts today.  

I have receipts for major work completed through La Jolla Independent and Another shop called Independent, also owned by an ex-employee at LJI. This particular car is well known by various shop owners and all have suggested that it has been mechanically taken care of. This is perfect because my knowledge of the fine inner workings of engines is very limited. But I can make a car pretty, so that's what I'll do.

How I came to acquire the car: Super bowl Sunday, a buddy called me down to SD to do some morning surfing. I said yes and shot over there in my little green car. We surfed and surfed and surfed and surfed then we ate tacos and he told me about this little 2002 that I might be interested in. Naturally I was curious, so we bombed up the hill to say hello to the owner, and peek at the car. I was able to meet with the owner right there, expressed interest in the car, and a few minutes later, agreed the purchase. It was not planned, but I am very pleased with how quickly things came together. Now the car is under my ownership and I will do what I do to these old girls. 

Given the car's judicial history, a close friend of mine suggested I rename her Judy (as in Judge Judy). I lol'd and died a little inside but agreed to keep the name. So that's her name now. Judy. There is multiple layers of irony in the name Judy, being that my own record isn't very clean, and I have a concealed carry weapon permit, which will never be issued in San Diego County. It's perfect.

The car runs great, but I noticed a slight coolant trickle from behind the kugelfischer pump. So instead of driving her home, I felt that towing was a better option. I do not regret this decision. 

Here are a few photos after I put her into the Costa Mesa shop. 

24940925626_369df09f3f_b.jpg

24599611269_e6d788252d_b.jpg

24967237595_222a23245f_b.jpg

24340385603_4a68d17f86_b.jpg

24940926486_d901cc1a23_b.jpg

24671740540_0e366aed4a_b.jpg

24849247042_ae3979b021_b.jpg

24599612099_c5f274fce9_b.jpg

24336639024_04944b3dcb_b.jpg

24340384743_c50e2f2037_b.jpg

24336639754_4a0d4aa96a_b.jpg

24340384513_bcaf6016d1_b.jpg

24873912471_7854b3f8b7_b.jpg

24967235835_da6b0d7197_b.jpg

Edited by danco_

Here are a few photos of quick progress yesterday:

I first removed all the black carpeting in the trunk and did some clean up and it's very nice under there. I'll end up redoing the entire trunk in the coming weeks. I'm surprised how nice the elephant skin vinyl is. I still haven't washed anything, just a quick dust and vacuum.

DjHX7SN.jpg?1

sh3s5sM.jpg?1

Then I swapped the steering wheel for the death wheel and fixed the glove box. I also pulled the rear seats and cleaned up, and vacuumed everything. So far so good. I'll end up getting new carpet in this car as well. 

D2XMeKT.jpg?1

After doing a few things at the shop, I drove the car to Doctor Detail in Costa Mesa. For $225, they will put the car on an outdoor lift and steam clean/pressure wash the entire undercarriage and wheel wells. Then they will clean the engine bay as well. I left the car for a few hours and then quickly drove it back to the shop without inspection (I was late for sailing at this point). I managed to snap one photo of the engine bay at this time. 

yEtJzI0.jpg?1

I like it. I will take all the aluminum back to it's original finish, and I'll have the airbox powdercoated. I will make the engine bay stock again - no more crinkle paint. 

I'm heading back there for some more work now.

Great starting point for a restification, you hoarder. ;)

I'm so stoked on this car.

Hmm, a 73tii with chrome seat hinges on the driver's seat and black on the pass. seat. 

Yeah, the driver's seat definitely isn't right, but all the rest are. I wonder how tough it will be to source a good driver's seat, or find the correct pattern and color vinyl. I have a few correct seats with bad vinyl to rebuild from, but I need a match. Any suggestions? 

Tii...bah! What is the story on the 3.0csi parked in front of it?

:-)

Oh you know, just your average italian spec 3.0csi  in fjord blue. That car will have it's day. Very soon actually.

Here are photos from earlier today. I crawled under the car, on top of the car, inside the car, and snapped all kinds of wacky photos.

This was from this morning. I was consolidating boxes in the garage and tried to reorganize. I have a decent collection of grilles now. I have another 4 or 5 sets in storage. 
POWXZPv.jpg?1

And here are photos specific to the Getrag 245 5-speed swap, in no particular order. I noticed this trans has a 4 bolt output shaft. I usually come across the 3 bolt variant. Also, I need to replace the CSB.

nmv088P.jpg?1

YfwgFma.jpg?1

P4k88iT.jpg?1

These shots are of the front set up. I took these mostly to see the condition of the calipers. I have a very sizable June 2014 invoice from La Jolla Independent that claims rebuilt tii calipers. Seems to coincide with their claim. 
Z8kImFt.jpg?1

8MYqOVm.jpg?1 

1QbOEOl.jpg?1

And a few of the rear subframe/diff/suspension:
n7GnKSw.jpg?1

zSUvsDm.jpg?1

LSD: 
RpoOUZL.jpg?1

SeUzZbK.jpg?1

Then I decided to clean up the bumpers. Some 0000 steel wool and metal polish did the trick. The bumpers are in excellent condition. 

PerzCjn.jpg?1

7v9YzLw.jpg?1

9efwTd8.jpg?1

Now I need to figure out what can be done with the paint on the top panels.
ODIdqft.jpg?1

And this is a very early locking gas cap from 68-69. I want to get the broken piece of the key out and use this on my 68 1600. Hopefully it all works out. 

date4T7.jpg?1

That's all I have from today. Very productive.

Nice. Very nice.

Very similar condition to my '73 Malaga, although a bit more in the way of superficial rust due I'm sure to the fact that it's lived closer to the water than mine for its 43 years, but no biggie-that's a solid west coast car! Bumpers cleaned up great-how are you going to attack the upper aluminum trim/grills since they're anodized? It seems that many polish off the anodized coating so they can attack superficial scratches and then lay down some polish/wax when it's as straight and clean as the trim on your car and mine and reapply when needed. 

As for the roof and hood, I suppose that you could reshoot the car from the beltline up, depending on how much you can do with the rest of the paint below and how much you want to preserve of the car's originality. Or, you could try and salvage the roof too (it looks like the hood is too far gone) as single stage reds always oxidize worse than other colors, but often can be brought back to life with a lot of cleaner polish (Meguiar's 7) and some cutting, but you know that.

How's the spare tire well?

Edited by 1936spyder

Have one of those early locking gas caps on my car as well-thought they were an option up through '73 though? Those are hard to come by.

Nice. Very nice.

Very similar condition to my '73 Malaga, although a bit more in the way of superficial rust due I'm sure to the fact that it's lived closer to the water than mine for its 43 years, but no biggie-that's a solid west coast car! Bumpers cleaned up great-how are you going to attack the upper aluminum trim/grills since they're anodized? It seems that many polish off the anodized coating so they can attack superficial scratches and then lay down some polish/wax when it's as straight and clean as the trim on your car and mine and reapply when needed. 

As for the roof and hood, I suppose that you could reshoot the car from the beltline up, depending on how much you can do with the rest of the paint below and how much you want to preserve of the car's originality. Or, you could try and salvage the roof too (it looks like the hood is too far gone) as single stage reds always oxidize worse than other colors, but often can be brought back to life with a lot of cleaner polish (Meguiar's 7) and some cutting, but you know that.

How's the spare tire well?

It has definitely lived closer to the ocean. It's whole life in San Diego, to be exact. As for beltline trim, I intend to send all trim into a shop that specializes in metal coatings where they do as you mention, and polish off the anodized coating, polish, then coat with a ceramic clear coat for protection. I'd rather send the car to a guy that specializes in this and give him $500, but I'm not sure there is a place that provides that particular service. But I do know i can send the trim in for service. I'm fortunately in that my beltline trim is 99% perfect with no dents or scratches. It's just hazy. 

As for paint on hood, roof, and trunk lid, I'd rather prepare and respray single stage malaga. The paint below the belt line is near excellent. If I go with a full respray, then I will remove all US-DOT side markers, and probably push the bumpers in for a 1972-look. 

But I'd rather just respray the top and make the car a good driver. I've over-restored the 1600 and I'll be nervous to drive her around. I don't want to do the same with this tii.

Spare tire well is great. I'm really surprised at how little rust this car has. Nothing structural. 

Edited by danco_

Have one of those early locking gas caps on my car as well-thought they were an option up through '73 though? Those are hard to come by.

Hmm.

I was told that it was an early gas cap. You can see the later style locking gas cap in one of the earlier photos. That same gas cap that is currently on the tii (not the one with the broken key) also came on my early 1600. I am not sure what is original, but I'm going to assume that the broken key one is early. I'm probably wrong but oh well. 

Cool, sounds good. Nice, original, unmolested cars are so fun to breathe life back into-meaning preserve/refresh what you can, as that's what gives the car some personality. Plus, they can only be original once. 

If I was going to fully repaint, I'd do the same as well-Euro turns, shaved side markers, tucked in bumpers, Euro rear bumper w/relocated license plate lights (in fact that is what I'll do, after I repaint my car, as it has more chips along its flanks).

Looking forward to watching the progress. I'll have my car home next week, then I'll start doing much of the same.

Edited by 1936spyder

Cool, sounds good. Nice, original, unmolested cars are so fun to breathe life back into-meaning preserve/refresh what you can, as that's what gives the car some personality. Plus, they can only be original once. 

If I was going to fully repaint, I'd do the same as well-Euro turns, shaved side markers, tucked in bumpers, Euro rear bumper w/relocated license plate lights (in fact that is what I'll do, after I repaint my car, as it has more chips along its flanks).

Looking forward to watching the progress. I'll have my car home next week, then I'll start doing much of the same.

I think I'll test my luck and get the top half resprayed in the coming weeks and see if I can stomach that. If it doesn't come out well, I'll get the car ready for complete paint and do the things you mentioned. 

So far I'm not really digging any wheel combo on this tii. I'm not into the bottle caps, I'm not in the Enkei Apache V, and I'm not really into the Lancia wheels. Though I do think this car will look better with a gray wheel over a very bright aluminum wheel. The hunt continues. As of right now, I think the bottlecaps looked the best of the three wheels I've tried on this car. 

24940925626_369df09f3f_b.jpg

Qsfo5V8.jpg?1

Xv6qQ8e.jpg?1

I also tinkered with cleaning the grounds and managed to get all lights working sans the right brake light and both license plate lights. Everything else works so far, which was not the case yesterday. 

I'll keep at it. 
Edited by danco_

Ryan- in the picture showing the clutch master cylinder, there appears to be a wire that is not connected to its matching plug. Wonder what that is for? It's your car and you can do whatever you want but I would try to preserve the factory bits of the USA built tii.

Interesting bolt on, then welded tranny mounts; small guibo with all bolts in same direction; limited slip diff ; rebuilt calipers (looks exactly like mine); nice condition suspension; etc. You got a good one!

Not sure if it would be easier to source a matching set of seat hinges and have the seats redone. The tobacco brown interior vinyl will be difficult to locate. The MB Tex is a close match.