• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

antenna removal help

rdeeble

hello faq

trying to remove this antenna from my parts car for my new drive i think its a Hirschmann but not sure.  For the life of me I can not  figure out how this base comes off.  It appears there may be two screws in the two circle openings of this base but i can not see them and so far a philips head does not seem to catch anything.  

Any advice?

post-37814-0-39404300-1454297750_thumb.j

post-37814-0-18542500-1454297765_thumb.j

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

May be slot heads or rivets.

My advice is buy a new Hirschmann on ebay.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

All the Blaupunkt and HIrschmann antennas I've seen had small philips head screws down in those wells.  If your phillips scfrewdriver won't grab the screw heads, try carefully drilling out the heads, the remove the plastic base and cable.  Once they're out you can use a pair of visegrips to remove the remains of the screws.  When you get new screws, get stainless steel ones.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Yup, pretty sure there are screws there. I remember screws when I replaced my antenna.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

post-37814-0-37834400-1454390885_thumb.jpost-37814-0-39784300-1454391056_thumb.j

All the Blaupunkt and HIrschmann antennas I've seen had small philips head screws down in those wells.  If your phillips scfrewdriver won't grab the screw heads, try carefully drilling out the heads, the remove the plastic base and cable.  Once they're out you can use a pair of visegrips to remove the remains of the screws.  When you get new screws, get stainless steel ones.

mike

yep thats what i did.  carefully drilled them out (and yes they were philips #1 screws but completely rusted through and through.  

I NOW have a new problem...

The new car (with freshly restored paint) has a much bigger hole in the pillar and no small screw holes. I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO TRY DRILLING MORE HOLES IN A FRESHLY PAINTED CAR (thats my inner anxiety yelling).  Any advice on how to attach this antenna? I have a really good fastener store nearby if anyone can think there some kind of fastener i can utilize?   Or is this set up for a completely different antenna that I should find ?

Edited by rdeeble

attachicon.gifIMG_6124.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_6122.JPG

yep thats what i did.  carefully drilled them out.  which NOW presents a new problem...

The new car (with freshly restored paint) has a much bigger hole in the pillar and no small screw holes. I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO TRY DRILLING MORE HOLES IN A FRESHLY PAINTED CAR (thats my inner anxiety yelling).  Any advice on how to attach this antenna? I have a really good fastener store nearby if anyone can think there some kind of fastener i can utilize?   Or is this set up for a completely different antenna that I should find ?

just a hack thought...

If the diameter of the base is wider than the hole... could you put a straight (longer) piece of metal behind the opening on A-pillar, with 2 holes drilled in it and simply tighten the antenna to that piece. Maybe 3m'ing the metal piece inside the a-pillar? I think you'd also need a rubber gasket behind the antenna.

/hack thought

edit: this is assuming the 2 screw holes fit in to the current larger hole on a-pillar.

Edited by MildSeven

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

yep i think the base will cover the hole - but screw holes out side of the main hole would be to close to the edge and not secure.  I was thinking too about a piece of metal behind - maybe loctite a nut on the other side of the metal piece and use machine screws to secure the base - a gasket is not a bad idea either...

yep i think the base will cover the hole - but screw holes out side of the main hole would be to close to the edge and not secure.  I was thinking too about a piece of metal behind - maybe loctite a nut on the other side of the metal piece and use machine screws to secure the base - a gasket is not a bad idea either...

:)

the reason i didn't say bolt + nut was in case you want to remove it in future, without opening a-pillar fabric.

good luck

Edited by MildSeven

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

So project complete.  I had spazzed out some on the worries about the size of the hole it was not as bad as I had thought.  There was indeed enough room to drill.

For anyone reading this in the future here are a few tips.  

1. Get the right tool!  The two philips screws in the base require a "very narrow philips" with #1 head.

2. To fish your cable in use an old cable with a straight end and duck tape the end of it to the tip of your actual cable pin.  That way you can grab it through the cable hole in the body (right next to the hood lever) with some needle nose pliers to strong arm it through the hole - it will damage the cable but its the extra old one - then once through the hole you can pull on it to bring the new cable in.

this was very helpful" http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/77713-antenna-replacement/

3. Replace the base with stainless steel screws - the old ones i took out were pure rust despite a well preserved car.

4. Given the rust of those screws I choose to make a rubber gasket. I used a 1/8 thick rubber washer at Lowes and cut it to size.  This way as I tightened the base down it squeezed down on the rubber making a seal.

And yes I ended up making two very miner scratches to the new paint - but oh well - at least the first scratch was my own.

post-37814-0-86547700-1454815622_thumb.j

post-37814-0-99387700-1454815632_thumb.j

Edited by rdeeble