• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shock towers

tone1633

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/BMW406L(this part is made by wallothnesch, which is the 2nd link)

http://www.wallothnesch.com/radhaus-innen-rechts-1502-2002turbo-41-03-04.html

I recently patched mine up using some 18 gauge sheet metal. Not pretty but cheap.

18420222858_1fecf9c8fe_c.jpg

Edited by MildSeven

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

Thanks Mildseven and 02les... I am looking for used ones as I don't really want to spend $1000 on this repair. And yes the towers from wollothnesch are a fraction of the cost, but when you add the shipping fee they are almost the same.

So, if you order from W & N you get both for the cost of one at the other place.  Great mark up!

Yup almost...

$559.36USD from W & N... plus shipping from Germany and i don't know how US duties work, but in Canada it's something like 9% for "made in Germany" + (federal & provincial taxes)

$762.00USD from RD... plus shipping from Canada + not sure but would assume you would still have to pay the duties because it's manufactured in Germany.

Thanks Mildseven and 02les... I am looking for used ones as I don't really want to spend $1000 on this repair. And yes the towers from wollothnesch are a fraction of the cost, but when you add the shipping fee they are almost the same.

I had requested a quote on a piece from W & N a while back, shipping from there was actually good... (when comparing to costs of something being shipped from US to CAN).

Maybe you could go the route I went...

Cutting 18gauge sheet metal, then taking a mallet to it, over an old brick for shaping :P

Edited by MildSeven

Yup almost...

$559.36USD from W & N... plus shipping from Germany and i don't know how US duties work, but in Canada it's something like 9% for "made in Germany" + (federal & provincial taxes)

$762.00USD from RD... plus shipping from Canada + not sure but would assume you would still have to pay the duties because it's manufactured in Germany.

RD - $381 + $479 = $860. When I looked at the site yesterday, pretty sure both sides were $479 each!!!

$472 from W & N - Euro 222 each as you don't pay Europe's VAT.

Shipping from Germany (DHL) is usually ok and blisteringly quick. Duty, is a toss up; sometimes I get hit, sometimes I don't.

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Parts are not made by Walloth&Nesch, parts are made by BMW. W&N buys at BMW at a discount and only resells. Like this it is with the majority of parts offered by W&N, only about 5-10% of what they offer they do have especially produced for themselves.

Regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Parts are not made by Walloth&Nesch, parts are made by BMW. W&N buys at BMW at a discount and only resells. Like this it is with the majority of parts offered by W&N, only about 5-10% of what they offer they do have especially produced for themselves.

Regards, Lars.

ok, thanks Lars... what I meant to say is that the pieces I bought from Restoration Design were stamped Walloth & Nesch.

No offense meant!

With my reading here in the FAQ I´ve learnt, that not every BMW dealership around the world is working as pleasant and reliable as most of them do here in Germany. And I´ve learnt that sometimes the distances to the next dealership are huge - the one nearest to me is only about 10-15 minutes by foot (if I wouldn´t be too lazy to walk ;) ).

But I wanted to point out, that if you might have a good BMW dealership near you, try to ask there first for parts. The majority of the non-mod spares available for 02 are still manufactured by BMW themselves (or at least for BMW).

BTW: Your patching of your rear shock towers is a hellufalot prettier than what I´ve seen in many german cars in the 80s and 90s (and sometimes even still today). Don´t hide your light under a bushel.

Regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.