• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: a rust free (do they exist?) roundie to turn into an M2

Freude am Fahren

That Bristol car in Seattle looks interesting. You might ask for the VIN. Seems to be a very early car and is likely a 1600. Probably the lightest '02 made. Do look more closely at the shock towers.

It may have the long neck 4.10 diff, unless swapped out. All 1600s came with 4.10 gears fwiw.

The cut just to the left of the the right headlamp bucket looks a bit odd.

You can wire into the '02 tach, temp gauge and oil pressure lamp.

... You'll likely want an O2 sensor if you want to dial in the motor. I'd suggest wideband. And alpha n. But that's just me. And Marshall. And... ;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Today I went and checked out this guy:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5261722191.html

Looks pretty clean inside and out. Couple of things I noted is that the title is salvage and when you look under the hood, the passenger fender has a silver plaque with only VIN number stamped on it instead of the BMW plaque describing the color, the year built, etc. Is this typical? The vin stamped on the said fender matched the vin stamped on the dash. No where else could I find a VIN stamp. Is this typical of these cars?

The interior looks great. The recaro seats are flawless. Dash has a couple of Grand Canyons carved out in it. The engine runs well mostly but then shakes every other second on the dot (is this normal or is it misfiring?)

It has been resprayed Pastelblau but the owner mentioned that another interested buyer showed up in his 1974 Pastelblau 02 and the two colors were different. 

At the end of the day, he said he won't take less than 8.5K. Is that a fair value for it you think? I was thinking more in the 6.5K range.

Edited by Freude am Fahren

Today I went and checked out this guy:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5261722191.html

Looks pretty clean inside and out. Couple of things I noted is that the title is salvage and when you look under the hood, the passenger fender has a silver plaque with only VIN number stamped on it instead of the BMW plaque describing the color, the year built, etc. Is this typical? The vin stamped on the said fender matched the vin stamped on the dash. No where else could I find a VIN stamp. Is this typical of these cars?

The interior looks great. The recaro seats are flawless. Dash has a couple of Grand Canyons carved out in it. The engine runs well mostly but then shakes every other second on the dot (is this normal or is it misfiring?)

It has been resprayed Pastelblau but the owner mentioned that another interested buyer showed up in his 1974 Pastelblau 02 and the two colors were different.

At the end of the day, he said he won't take less than 8.5K. Is that a fair value for it you think? I was thinking more in the 6.5K range.

Looks like Fjord in the pictures.

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

I think it's pretty rare to have the dash (steering column pad) VIN match the fender, since they are removable and have been swapped out in a lot of 02s. The fender plaque is sketchy. Maybe they matched it to the dash? There is another VIN stamped onto a fender(?) but it might be covered by paint.

If it's an original motor the VIN should match. It's on the short block.

I agree it also looks Fjord and not Pastelblau. Why does it have a salvage title? If it has no rust and minimal body filler I'd say it looks like a 6500-8500 car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Pretty clean. It's been smacked in the back like so many. You can tell by looking at the ornamental bumper.

You might look carefully at the rear quarters to see if the smack was significant. Could be worth it. Prices are not declining on these...

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I've go the Aardvark "M2" manual around somewhere and would be glad to share the info when I find it.

unless you had two...i think i have that M2 manual ... :)

I'd love to pick your brain on the topic of "M2" when I get closer to doing the mechanical stuff.

anytime, but looks like you are buying that already done M2 in the other thread!

the M2 manual will help immensely.

yes.  anyone building an M2 needs to buy the ardvark M2 manual.  it is expensive.  it is worth every penny.  without it you will be wasting many hours trying to figure out all the nuances of the install.  the install ain't plug-n-play.  putting an s14 in a 2002 is not a cheap deal.  suck it up and spend the coin on the manual. 

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

Why not a square tail light 02? I agree that 02's with diving board bumpers look fugly so make the squarie look better by doing a Euro bumper conversion. IMHO, I think the square tail light cars are better built cars (they feel more secure to me). In fact, I'll take a square tail light with a Euro bumper conversion. If you expand your search, you find a lot of 74-75 donor cars. As you are aware, 76 models still have to be smog tested but that shouldn't be an issue since your donor car will have a California Air Resources Board (CARB) cert label model car after the S14 motor swap and by CARB rules, if you install a motor from a later model year (76 or later), your vehicle will now be subject to smog testing. If you install the S14 motor in your own garage, who is going to know?  Bottom line, do your homework on this issue.

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

unless you had two...i think i have that M2 manual ... :)

anytime, but looks like you are buying that already done M2 in the other thread!

yes.  anyone building an M2 needs to buy the ardvark M2 manual.  it is expensive.  it is worth every penny.  without it you will be wasting many hours trying to figure out all the nuances of the install.  the install ain't plug-n-play.  putting an s14 in a 2002 is not a cheap deal.  suck it up and spend the coin on the manual. 

That explains why I can't find it. :D