• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stereo Power Problem

Utah02

Hey there,

I've written in on this before a little bit ago but I took advice from people and am still having a problem. My stereo will turn on when I turn my car on, but when I hit the throttle, wether idling or under load, the stereo turns off then restarts again. My first thought was a bad alternator so I got a new e21 Bosch alternator to fix it and that didn't work. My constant power is coming from a purple wire out of the bundle going to the hazard switch (I was told that's the right place) and that's pictured below. I originally was drawing power from the hazard switch but was told to run it directly from the battery. When I started to do that I realized that a previous owner already had a wire running from the battery and through the fire wall with a 7.5 a inline fuse. I also had a ground setup to a bolt on the heater box and this guy had one directly on the fire wall which seemed like a clean ground so I set that up. Almost positive I had it fixed, I started it up and the problem continued. I'll attach my old and new diagrams below as well as my ground and constant wire set up. Any advice? It's greatly appreciated. Sorry for bugging with this problem again.

Thanks

Colby

post-48292-0-09325400-1445979659_thumb.j

post-48292-0-75506100-1445979668_thumb.j

post-48292-0-32411700-1445979686_thumb.j

post-48292-0-54438000-1445979698_thumb.j

post-48292-0-09325400-1445979659_thumb.j

post-48292-0-75506100-1445979668_thumb.j

post-48292-0-32411700-1445979686_thumb.j

post-48292-0-54438000-1445979698_thumb.j

Are you sure it's not a connection issue? Everything nice and tight and nothing (including speaker wiring) capable of shorting either to the body or something else?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

You are not telling us about the stereo unit and also do you have the stereo mfg. installation diagram. I think the issue still is that you don't have connection from stereo to ignition wiring. At least per my stereo diagram (a reference) below.

post-43112-0-98556500-1445989326_thumb.p

take a look on the original wiring harness under center of dash and you should find one wire with connector that is part of wiring harness that is for radio/stereo. I think you are missing igintion connection

post-43112-0-98556500-1445989326_thumb.p

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

I've been doing this for a few years and have always put both power wires to the cigar lighter might be basic but I don't like having to turn the key on to listen to Bob Segar or a Giants game. I like to sit down in my driver seat and drink a beer and no keys are allowed

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Does the radio maintain its presets or time? I think you should re-do your switched power wire, does the radio have a built in fuse? If so, get rid of that in-line fuse too, it just leaves another connection to work loose.

Thanks pklym! Good advice. I double checked the presets and they stay the same when it shuts off. Nothing resets. When my stereo first turns on, it automatically goes to the fm radio setting. If I switch to something like Bluetooth then it shuts off, it will turn back on and still be on bluetooth. So I don't think it's the ignition switch wiring. Also, I did find out it has a 10A fuse so I took out the inline fuse and that didn't seem to fix it either.

If your presets are kept then your yellow wire has a good constant connection. And the same applies to your ground. If either of those were loosing power you would loose presets. That leaves your red wire. Try different feeds for that and you will find your problem. I was going to suggest that your place the 7.5 amp fuse as well because i have never seen any unit with less than a 10 amp on it. At this point, I would replace the PO installed wire with a new one at least 18 gauge and get rid of the inline fuse, it is not needed if the stereo already has one. GL

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit

06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd - garage queen *  73 Mustang Convertible 351C 

15 VW Touareg V6 Executive - daily driver * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

If your presets are kept then your yellow wire has a good constant connection. And the same applies to your ground. If either of those were loosing power you would loose presets. That leaves your red wire. Try different feeds for that and you will find your problem. I was going to suggest that your place the 7.5 amp fuse as well because i have never seen any unit with less than a 10 amp on it. At this point, I would replace the PO installed wire with a new one at least 18 gauge and get rid of the inline fuse, it is not needed if the stereo already has one. GL

Exactly. 

Your test shows the constant power is good, so focus on the switched/ignition power. I've had radios that constantly restart and that is often the problem (or ground). 

Just redo the wire, find another switched source to pull it from and tee it off or use a nice wire tapper, don't just double check the current one.