• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EFI conversion: Any other fuel rails that will fit?

yezzir

I am collecting parts for an M10 EFI conversion and I bought the intake manifold from an 1985 318i, but it didn't come with the fuel rail. I am wondering if a fuel rail from another car would fit (aftermarket or OEM). Anyone know?

Thanks!

'68 1600-2

I had the same issue. I bought an intake manifold with no fuel rail. Measure the distance between the injector ports on the intake manifold. Then run to the junkyard and compare with other 4 cylinder cars. You can always jimmy up a mounting system to mount the fuel rail to the intake manifold.

I got lucky and found a 318i fuel rail after all. FYI, Ford Contour 17lb injectors are great for a stock 2002. I'm running those in my car. Also, if you have a stock engine stick with the 318i throttle body. Its plenty for the car. Acceleration is nice and low end torque is great because of the long intake runners.

Good luck.

Edited by MAD02

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

I don't recommend jury rigging a fuel rail unless you don't mind the risk of a big fire. Fuel is under 3bar pressure in the rail and the pump will really put more fuel on the fire if there is a fast leak and ignited. The port angles are such that you will be extremely lucky to find anything else than the 318 M10 fuel rail that works. There are two styles, the later has less unused fuel line ports to deal with.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Thanks for the replies. I should also mention that I'm going to be doing this on a 2.0L from an e21, and am going to use forged rods and maybe bigger pistons. Would I then still be able to use a stock 318i fuel rail?

I saw aftermarket fuel rails on eBay for the S14 m10 but wasn't sure if that size matches the intake manifold.

Edited by yezzir

'68 1600-2

You'll want the throttle body from an e30 325i. I believe the part number is 1716036.

Then you'll need an adapter to go from the intake manifold to the throttle body.

Edited by yezzir

'68 1600-2