• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Plugs in engine comparment

LateApex

I'm just about finished with my engine compartment wiring cleanup and I have another question.  There are two plugs in the corner below the fuse box.  One is a nine-conductor molex w/cover attached to the inner fender, the other is a round five-conductor with a boot that is hanging there.

Can someone ID these for me and, if possible, provide a pin-out?

TIA

The round one is for the wipers. Might not help with the pinout too well but here is an extract from a wiring diagram. The wire colours will identify the pins for no 23.

As for the diagnostic plug http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/125382-my-2002-diagnostic-tool-demo-wunderbox/ if you look for posts by PatAllen, pretty sure he gives the pin out somewhere.post-39712-0-58057600-1443107858_thumb.j

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I take that back. Now I can see the scale of it (and seeing the wiper plug in the rear of one of the other shots) leads me to ??

Aftermarket?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

That is most definitely a socket for a relay, and if the center is empty, then it's a single-pole/single-throw (or SPST) relay.  (5 terminals would make it a single-pole/double-pole, or SPDT relay).  Though I must admit, off-hand I can't name a relay that lives up by the firewall like that.  Just to quickly verify, do your headlights, high beams, horn, starter, and electric fuel pump (if equipped) all work properly?  That's the only relays used on a 2002 as far as I can remember.  If all of those things still work, let me know and I'll dig more deeply through the wiring diagrams to try to figure this one out!

-Carl

The connector might be for the mileage counter to give a request to inspect the smog equipment, especially the thermal reactor.  Most owners have removed the mileage counter box and replace the speedometer cable with a single piece.

Steve Vonk

'74 BMW 2002 Atlantik

The connector might be for the mileage counter to give a request to inspect the smog equipment, especially the thermal reactor.  Most owners have removed the mileage counter box and replace the speedometer cable with a single piece.

knowing what year the car is would help.  

2xM3