• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

76 details

Vintagedavid

Do all 76's have a BMW vin plate riveted on the body on the right front?

Do all of the original front seat covers have perforations in the center panels?

I am looking at an original paint 76 and there are all of the other VINs noted on the car with a VIN sticker on the inside of the driver door which indicates the build date -- but no riveted plate in front.  Also the front seat covers look original but do not have the perforations.

Thank you in advance.

David

Edited by Vintagedavid

I searched on "76 VIN missing":

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/163436-no-vin-tag-in-engine-bay/?hl=%2Bmissing+%2Bvin+%2Bplate#entry1026252

See especially Post #4 and following.

Factory seat coverings on a U.S. '76 had either perforated vinyl or cloth in the center. LOTS of seats have been recovered by now.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

All the other VINs were present on the car.  I just was used to seeing the larger plate under the hood on the passenger side.  From the first response, it sounds like a few 76's came without the plate.  Thank you for the expertise.

Regarding the front seat covers, it seems like they are older replacements as they are missing the center perforations and the lip on the transition from the center to the bolsters.  Photo attached.

post-42569-0-19256400-1441991024_thumb.j

It would seem '76 '02s built between end Feb/beginning March and through to end May/beginning June '76 had no regular VIN plate.

This would seem to be an awful long time for BMW to have just run out of them and waited for a new supply.

Manual gearbox cars from approx 2379600 through the 274XXXX to approx. 2744100, and auto cars from approx. 2391500 to approx. 2392900 had no VIN plates.

I have no clue about seat upholstery!

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Thank you, Les!

And my '76 is 2742541 (which fits within your VIN ranges), manufactured April 19, 1976. It has never had a metal riveted-on VIN tag, but seems to be quite well-adjusted nonetheless!

Regards,

Steve

All the other VINs were present on the car.  I just was used to seeing the larger plate under the hood on the passenger side.  From the first response, it sounds like a few 76's came without the plate.  Thank you for the expertise.

Regarding the front seat covers, it seems like they are older replacements as they are missing the center perforations and the lip on the transition from the center to the bolsters.  Photo attached.

Those door cards are the correct tan or beige color for a '75-'76 car, but the seat covers are definitely not original, both from a perforated vinyl perspective and a color perspective -- too...fleshy.

Regards,

Steve

vin # stamped on top of Right front inner fender , the door jam are stickers, should be a rivet tag # on topof steering column cover..

Mine also had all of these plus a riveted VIN plate on Inner right fender

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

As seen in my topic that someone else linked my car is missing it too. Don't worry, I had some concern at first but I think it's something to look at in a cool way. Hell, our cars are a rare few ;)

-N

76' Fjord Daily SOLD

1986 528e 5 speed Daily

"I don't have a piece of sh*t so I have to envy yours!" - Ferris Bueller

It would seem '76 '02s built between end Feb/beginning March and through to end May/beginning June '76 had no regular VIN plate.

This would seem to be an awful long time for BMW to have just run out of them and waited for a new supply.

Manual gearbox cars from approx 2379600 through the 274XXXX to approx. 2744100, and auto cars from approx. 2391500 to approx. 2392900 had no VIN plates...

Right! Looking at your VIN and date ranges, Les, and noting that every example thus far exposed has fit into those VIN and date ranges (more-or-less confirming those ranges), we're not talking about a few hundred '02s without riveted-on metal VIN tags. We're talking about a few thousand '02s without riveted-on metal VIN tags!

So, I have to ask, Les, how the hell did you get those VIN and date ranges? It's so amazing that I'm not certain I want to know the truth. I may not be able to HANDLE the truth!

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

So, I have to ask, Les, how the hell did you get those VIN and date ranges? It's so amazing that I'm not certain I want to know the truth. I may not be able to HANDLE the truth!

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

Steve,

I have a huge collection of '02 pics through my collecting VINs. I just scrutinised the pics for a junction between cars with VIN tags and cars without.

The start and finish of the VIN range could be off a little, but I believe it's close.

Now I'll see if I can nail down the "famous" tii timing assist cut-out.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17