• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'73tii hot start - fuel pump not running

Redtail

Hi Guys, I recently came back into the 2002 fold with a '73 Sahara tii that is in generally great condition. It has not been run much in the last few years and I'm getting it back up to speed, but ran into a problem yesterday I could use some advice with.

After an hour long drive getting the car thoroughly hot it wouldn't restart for me. The problem was obvious - the fuel pump was not running. I left the car to cool down for a couple hours and the fuel pump kicked on right away and she started without drama.

So is there a fuel pump relay that is getting heat soaked? I have had this problem on other cars before. Or is there a setting on the KFish that needs adjusted? Or does the fuel pump itself need replaced? The pump seems fine while underway, it doesn't loose power after it heats up and is always strong.

Any advice or ideas much appreciated.

Zack 

Are you sure the fuel pump was not running? Did the engine turn over but not start?

Have you checked your battery voltage? Check it while the car is off, then while the car is running.

The battery might be bad. Is it the original Tii fuel pump, or has it been upgraded to a 5-series?

If it is original, I would upgrade to a 5-series, there is a how-to on the FAQ.

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element

My fuel pump ceased working, car would not start. Replaced with E28 pump. Smooth sailing for 3 years.

Is the throttle synced with the K-Fisch?

Do you have to tools to do that?

Edited by adawil2002

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Are you sure the fuel pump was not running? Did the engine turn over but not start?

Have you checked your battery voltage? Check it while the car is off, then while the car is running.

The battery might be bad. Is it the original Tii fuel pump, or has it been upgraded to a 5-series?

If it is original, I would upgrade to a 5-series, there is a how-to on the FAQ.

I am sure the pump was not running. It is very loud and obvious when it clicks on or not. The engine did turn over but did not start. 

I took a look under there and it is the original tii pump - the PO had run a new power wire directly from the fuse block, so it's on all the time when the car is keyed on. I replaced the fuse as it looked a little crusty and have not had the problem since, but I'm not real confident that was the problem.

I'll look into the 5 series pump if this happens again. The car is new to me, and I have not messed with the fuel injection at all. I also do not have the tools for that, but I'd like to get them and learn soon.

Cheers

The pump is always on when the car is keyed on. If car is not running, excess fuel is just dumped back in tank via return line.

Go with the 5 series pump, installed correctly. Much quieter also. Does your Tii pump have the expansion tank connected?

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element

I think its advisable to ditch the expansion tank and replace with a fuel filter as per an E28. They are about the same size, so fitting would be no problem. The 5 series pump does not have an inbuilt inlet cone filter so something needs to be done. 

02tii 2751928 (2582)

Yes it still has the expansion tank. Are those actually good for anything, or do people generally ditch them when swapping pumps to the 5-series?

They are to prevent 'water hammer' effect with the fuel caused by the original style pump. It can be bypassed, people have done that. I kept mine on both Vern and Athena.

Edited by adawil2002

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40