• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for this - Anyone seen it CA lately?

Mark1975

Hi All.

I've finally decided to get an 02 and I keep coming back to this resto-mod I read on BAT a few years ago. I've looked around and looked into building something similar and I figured I'd try to acquire the inspiration before the emulation. After a few phone calls to previous owners and a bit of searching, here's what I know:

- Paint and Body were done by Rare Rides and sold on eBay to private owner in early 2011.

- That owner (Panther City Collection) had entire drive train built by Metric Mechanic; reworked interior and sound system; slight tweaks to exterior.

- Owner sold car to another private owner in California in late 2012 early '13. 

- Previous owners do not have a record of the original VIN#. Although, block and body are mates.

http://www.carpictures.com/vehicle/12LEG162215441/BMW-2002-Custom-1975

First post, long time lurker. I've been addicted to/wrenching on/cursing panel gaps on 60s and 70s German hardware for a long time. Garage is currently housing a low mile, all-OEM, air cooled 911 targa - needs a friend.

Thanks in advance, cheers.

-m'75

post-49136-0-30135100-1437841330_thumb.j

Welcome Mark!

I guess I'm unsure exactly what you are looking for?... Are you looking you find and buy this exact car or build something similar?  Where are you located?

I'll give you some thoughts and observations that are based on my opinion... and that isn't probably worth much.  These are just MY opinion and in no way am I wanting to offend you or anyone else... 

You mention your Porsche and that it is kept all original... I'm guessing you are looking for a 2002 that would be more of a fun driver since this one is far from stock?

Overall I think it certainly looks well done... 

Wheels look like BBS RS copies... maybe it is just the photos.  I would want real multi piece BBS wheels for my premium dollar.

Beltline trim delete

Dogleg 5 speed is a rare piece and desirable

Metric Mechanic - I'll let you google and search the FAQ on your own, but my opinion is that I wouldn't spend my money with MM.  They used to have a good reputation, but I think quality has declined and I never bought into the whole "surface turbulence" theory.  

Seats are Recaros look nice.

I don't like the gold decal on the side... but without it the car is black on black.  A little to dark for my taste.  I'd rather see no gold decals and instead recover the recaro seats with houndstooth inserts.

Beltline trim delete... not my taste but I think sometimes it can work.

Nice and not over the top stereo install.

Again, let us know what you are looking for.  I think there are plenty of shops that could replicate that car or use it as inspiration to build your own.  Granted, if you were starting from scratch you would probably spend more but more info is needed!

Welcome!

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

Thanks for the insight.

Notes: 

Yeah, I've heard and read quite a bit about MM - particularly the valve grinding thing. I'm not dead set on acquiring this car because of the drivetrain, mostly body and interior. And to that point, I've chatted with a few builders and gone trough what it would take to replicate this look (sourcing motor/diff elsewhere). Cost-wise it seemed to make more sense to try and find it first and then go plan B. Although the Italian turn signals are almost a deal breaker by themselves! Rare little items those are...

The "Schwartz-ish" color is ok but I'm leaning toward Chamonix with some-closer-to-factory shoes and rubber. And definite yes on those houndstooth seat inserts. The early 911s had a similar look and these 944 seats are a cool modified fit.

I'm in the southwest/left coast area - Nevada. Lots of great gatherings, sources and builders out here that do great quality work and have even better reputations.

Sounds like you have a good handle on what you want and lucky for you are in the right place! California is heaven for sure for plentiful 2002s...

I like your plan of attack too... Good luck on the hunt and keep us posted on how things go! I doubt I'll see that 02 in Iowa but I think you'll find the 2002 community to be one of the great selling points of 2002 ownership!

Have you let some of the big/reputable SoCal shops like la jolla independent and 2002 garage Werks know what you are looking for?

I suggest calling Le Tran at 2002 Garage Werks... If he can't find what you want he can certainly build it! ( full disclosure my car is in his shop now... )

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

Welcome!

You may do well to search "rare rides" on this forum  (upper right search box) before going for this particular car.

Otherwise, what Aaron said.

Also makemodelsearch.com is a good resource.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• 1 year later...

The car left Rare Rides with gold "houndstooth" inserts in the seats & door panels; it would appear that Panther City Motors (Fort Worth) changed them to all black.

Whilst it may have been a scam, the car was for sale on San Antonio Craigslist November 2014. The Ad used the same pics that Panther City used on Ebay from Dec '12 through Mar '13.

2365233 1m.jpg

2365233 1q.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

2 hours ago, 02Les said:

The car left Rare Rides with gold "houndstooth" inserts in the seats & door panels; it would appear that Panther City Motors (Fort Worth) changed them to all black.

Whilst it may have been a scam, the car was for sale on San Antonio Craigslist November 2014. The Ad used the same pics that Panther City used on Ebay from Dec '12 through Mar '13.

2365233 1m.jpg

2365233 1q.jpg

That is a great interior. Not original, but awesome!

• Like 1